Awhile back, Viki posted the following comment in response to my eyelash yarn bargain alert.
Good afternoon everyone. I NEVER thought to look at the stores you mentioned for yarn ! ! ! What a GREAT idea. ALSO, is there some TRICK to crocheting with eyelash yarn? Tried it once but I couldn’t “see” the previous stitches and ended up with a “glob”. Thanks so much for the tips.
Thanks for the comment, Viki! I thought I would share a few tips for working with eyelash yarn, and then open the floor to comments so that we can all benefit from each others' knowledge.
- Choose a pattern that allows you to crochet into spaces rather than stitches. It's a lot easier to find a space under all that "fur" than it is to find a stitch. I designed a fancy fur scarf pattern which makes use of this trick. With the exception of a few stitches at the ends, every stitch will be worked into a space below it.
- Don't use a hook that is too small for the job. Larger hooks are better for enabling you to see the stitches. Even if the core of the yarn looks thin, think of it like a bulky yarn when you choose your hook.
- You can crochet holding 2 different yarns together, an eyelash yarn and a smooth yarn, which will help you see your stitches a little better.
- Free crochet pattern for a Fun Fur Scarf
- Product review of Lion Brand Fun Fur yarn
- Fun Fur knitted scarf pattern
Those are the things I've had success with so far. If you know of any other tips and helpful hints for working with eyelash yarn, please post a comment below. I'd be very interested to know what has worked for you, and I am sure that Viki and plenty of other crocheters would be, too.
More About Eyelash Yarn:
Photo © Amy Solovay.