1. Home

Amy Solovay

Tips for Crocheting With Eyelash Yarn

By July 21, 2009

Awhile back, Viki posted the following comment in response to my eyelash yarn bargain alert.

Good afternoon everyone. I NEVER thought to look at the stores you mentioned for yarn ! ! ! What a GREAT idea. ALSO, is there some TRICK to crocheting with eyelash yarn? Tried it once but I couldn’t “see” the previous stitches and ended up with a “glob”. Thanks so much for the tips.

Thanks for the comment, Viki! I thought I would share a few tips for working with eyelash yarn, and then open the floor to comments so that we can all benefit from each others' knowledge.

Trendy Women's Scarf Crocheted With Lion Brand Fancy Fur Eyelash YarnHere are some of the things I've found helpful when working with eyelash yarn:

• Choose a pattern that allows you to crochet into spaces rather than stitches. It's a lot easier to find a space under all that "fur" than it is to find a stitch. I designed a fancy fur scarf pattern which makes use of this trick. With the exception of a few stitches at the ends, every stitch will be worked into a space below it.

• Don't use a hook that is too small for the job. Larger hooks are better for enabling you to see the stitches. Even if the core of the yarn looks thin, think of it like a bulky yarn when you choose your hook.

• You can crochet holding 2 different yarns together, an eyelash yarn and a smooth yarn, which will help you see your stitches a little better.

• Those are the things I've had success with so far. If you know of any other tips and helpful hints for working with eyelash yarn, please post a comment below. I'd be very interested to know what has worked for you, and I am sure that Viki and plenty of other crocheters would be, too.

More About Eyelash Yarn:

• Free crochet pattern for a Fun Fur Scarf
  • Product review of Lion Brand Fun Fur yarn
  • Fun Fur knitted scarf pattern
  • Photo © Amy Solovay.

Comments

July 27, 2009 at 8:22 pm
(1) vicki says:

I have a boat load of eyelash. when the scarves were hot a few years ago I sold quite a few but the China imports took over. does anyone have eyelash patterns that are more up to date for 2009? Knit or crochet would be appreciated.

July 27, 2009 at 10:25 pm
(2) Friday says:

My Mother-in-law told me that she puts a lamp on the floor between her feet when she uses those type yarns and that way she can see the stitches.

July 28, 2009 at 12:57 am
(3) Kathleen says:

I, too, use baby weight yarn with eyelash yarn;
but I use it on the recently popular heavy,
plastic looms. It is very easy to see the
stitches on the loom pegs. I try to match or
coordinate the color of the light weight yarn
with the eyelash, and the light weight is
barely noticeable but gives the hat or scarf
more body.
Kathleen

July 29, 2009 at 2:32 am
(4) Norah says:

Hi! I have tried holding it with another yarn (looks nice) and also using the loom (I lost patience, but it may have been my fault as I may have done it too tight).

I have made several felted crochet purses, which I love doing. While frilly stuff is not my style as much, I have made two purses with fun fur/other novelty trim that people have loved. I sewed the sides of the purse I was making together and then held one strand of the regular wool and one strand (or two strands, if you prefer) of the fun fur together and reattached the yarn, crocheting around the top (as if it were a tube) for a few rows. Obviously, the wool will shrink and the fun fur will not when you felt it, which makes the fun fur “pop.”

I just finished felting a light blue purse (Moda Dea Carwtwheel wool in Sea Blue) with fun fur trim (Moda Dea Dream in some sort of green) that I ordered from http://www.smileysyarns.com. I am going to attach store-bought purse handles (I often construct most handles with the same wool I used in the purse). It looks really smart!

You could also hold the fun fur/novelty yarn and main yarn together to trim a basic throw or pillow. I am thinking about doing the former with some of my leftover yarn.

I guess you could also make a crazy scarf using scraps of different types/colors of regular yarn and the fun fur/novelty. It might also look cool to crochet a scarf the long way and alternate rows of plain yarn and yarn double-stranded with fun fur.

Perhaps it would make cute trim for girls’ outfits or the tops of patch pockets.

BTW: A felting tip I just discovered is stuffing purses, etc. as they dry with foam; it really helped make crisper shapes. I am actually refelting purses I didn’t already give friends so I can reshape them like this! My brother works at an electronics store and had a lot of foam leftover from shipping MP3′s. If you can’t find foam for free (and repurposing, which is less wasteful!), you could always buy some.

November 11, 2010 at 2:55 pm
(5) Nancy says:

Another trick when working the eyelash yarn, is using place holders at an interval of 10 stitches or so. While counting stitches as I crochet, I’ll know if I’m in the ball park of the number of stitches I need to be. For place holders, I use large safety pins.

April 4, 2012 at 2:17 pm
(6) paperdollpc says:

I have been making crocheted fingerless gloves and attaching eyelash yarn using a crocheted row at the wrist before sewing the glove closed. I am having a problem with a good ‘anchor’ knot with the eyelash yarn. It tends to come loose after wearing the gloves several times. Does anyone have a good suggestion for which knot or a way to truly secure the eyelash yarn to the glove wrist?