1. Home

Amy Solovay

Caron's Dazzleaire Yarn Is Back!

By August 11, 2010

Do you remember crocheting (or maybe knitting) with Dazzleaire? I do! Back in, I think, 1980something? I'm having a hard time remembering exactly when it was available and when it was discontinued.

Well, I just saw that Dazzleaire yarn is once again being featured on the Caron web site. That's good news for those of you who are tired of stalking ebay hoping to find more of it. Woohooo!!!

I do not, however, see the same colors I am remembering, so if you are hoping to find a skein from an UFO you started way back when, you may still be outta luck...although I have to say I am liking the new color palette. What do you think?

Comments

August 11, 2010 at 4:04 pm
(1) SK says:

The New Dazzleaire is also a bulky yarn (#5) – where the ‘original’ was worsted weight (#4)

August 11, 2010 at 4:32 pm
(2) Amy Solovay - Crochet Guide says:

Hi SK, thanks for the comment. Good eye! Yep, you’re right. Hmmm, I wonder why it’s being reincarnated as a bulky weight yarn? Interesting!

Anybody seeing Dazzleaire in stores yet? I haven’t…

August 12, 2010 at 1:28 pm
(3) Terrie says:

I remember Dazzleaire from when I made my daughter a pinafore dress back in 1977!!!!! (dating myself) I loved it….was so pretty,and it really did dazzle!

November 8, 2010 at 1:09 am
(4) krys lefler says:

i actually came across a SUPER old dazzleaire skein from the 70′s. nice poem on the wrap! the color was like eartlight or something new-AGE-Y…LOVE IT. krys

November 22, 2010 at 11:50 am
(5) Tweety says:

I made more than a dozen afghans out of the Dazzleaire yarns in the 80′s. Different colors for all. I knew 10 children under 10 years & made them all from a pattern that I cut down to 2/3 size & used 2 strands of the yarn. The pattern had been too open with one strand & it was meant for a mohair. I am allergic to wool & wanted these to be machine washable for the mom. The kids all used them to lay on the floor & watch TV or drag around as just their own special blankie. Some of them tell me they still have them.
I also made the full size for my own daughter as she got older in more grown up colors.
Really glad the yarn is back as I have more young children who need their own blankies.

December 14, 2010 at 7:59 pm
(6) greygarious says:

My delight at hearing that Dazzleaire has been resurrected was dashed when I saw that it is a bulky now. The original stuff came in countless solids and variegateds, most of them in worsted weight, although they DID make some colors in both baby and bulky yarn.
STEWPID to bring it back other than as worsted! I have a considerable stash of the original yarn and would have liked to be able to combine it with complementary shades of the new stuff, but no cigar.

January 29, 2011 at 3:13 am
(7) echoscream says:

Yep – I am among those trying to track down the older Caron yarn – Dazzleaire in the bulky weight – to finish an afghan I started back in the 80s. Hmmmmm poor thing, to lay idle all this time. I have found a few in a rust color (is really a peach) on Ebay today, but I have plenty of that color. Looking for a peach varigated with beige(probably a cream called Fisherman) and a solid beige called Fisherman.
So, when all else fails, I search the internet and found this place. It’s refreshing to know that I may not be the ONLY one who puts projects away before finishing them. I got enough yarn initially to do the project size – but decided to enlarge it.. and stupidly didn’t get more yarn at the time!!

February 8, 2011 at 3:08 pm
(8) Melanie says:

Yes, I purchased some of the new Dazzleaire yarn, not realizing it is now bulky weight. Fortunately, the pattern for the baby blanket I am crocheting was easy to adjust and is coming out beautifully. The yarn is soft and luxurious. I’m already thinking of buying more. (Now what to do with the leftover worsted weight Dazzleaire I still have!?!)

February 8, 2011 at 6:53 pm
(9) Amy Solovay - Crochet Guide says:

Thanks for all the comments, everyone.

To Melanie, If you don’t already have a project in mind for your vintage Dazzleaire, there are a few possibilities. I haven’t checked prices lately, but vintage Dazzleaire used to sell for insanely high prices on ebay. That may not still be the case; I think you can research completed auctions to see what things have sold for lately.

Also, you could donate the yarn to a local charity crochet group or senior center. If you don’t know of a place in your own neighborhood, the senior center listed on this page needs yarn donations. I suppose you’d have to mail the yarn to them, unless you happen to live close by.

Thanks again for the comments.

February 27, 2011 at 11:45 pm
(10) mac says:

I had used Dazzleaire for years and you can not beat it. It is soft,washable, and so easy to work with. I could not believe Caron discontinued it. Have not seen it in any store.

March 5, 2011 at 2:43 pm
(11) back in the saddle says:

Just got back from a frustrating trip to the fabric store where I looked for Dazzleaire thinking I would get back into crocheting afghans again as I am laid up for several weeks wiht a broken ankle, and what better way to spend my time than knitting and crocheting. The last knitting and crocheting I did was back in 1999 and I just assumed I’d go get some Dazzleaire and get “back in the saddle” again. WRONG!! They had a Lion Brand lovely soft yarn in beautiful ombres, but it’s a bulky and I’m so out of practice as to not want to try converting it since the pattern called for Dazzleaire worsted. Darn and rats, and now I guess I won’t have to traipse all over town looking for it. WHY on earth did they discontinue it?!?? Darn and rats again.

June 9, 2011 at 1:54 pm
(12) mary says:

I found some at our local thrift shops and auctions. The ones I bought are baby and also the heavier ones. I may just make patches and sew them together for a blanket. I compared the baby dazzleaire with the regular baby yarn and the feel and look the same.

October 7, 2011 at 10:36 pm
(13) minnie says:

i just found dazzleaire at ac moore in secaucus, nj. love dazzleaire. i made baby afghans ,twin size afghans, baby sweaters etc. i made a hat and scarf. like it was stated there are different colors than in earlier years. they do not have the variegated colors. it is expensive @ lease $4.00 a skein

October 8, 2011 at 10:24 am
(14) minnie says:

i fond dazzleaire on line at knitting warehouse at $ 3.49 a skein. that is less than $4.49, or $3.99 a skein.

December 17, 2011 at 4:25 am
(15) pat says:

dollar tree sells dazzleaire for $1. got 10 skeins yesterday.

December 20, 2011 at 4:48 pm
(16) Elsie says:

I happened to go to my local Dollar store to look for something else and lo and behold I came across the Caron ‘Dazzleaire yarn I couldn’t believe it for $1.00 a skein and they had beautiful colors. I live in Delray Beach, Fl.

February 22, 2012 at 12:37 am
(17) Robin says:

Good luck finding it, might be on Caron website but I cannot find it anywhere and the few I did find had one color to choose from? ANy suggestions.

April 16, 2012 at 9:34 pm
(18) nite owl says:

The proportion of acrylic to nylon has also changed. It used to be 60/40 and now it is 80/20. I don’t understand the change to bulky unless it is the “style” now to use larger needles and bulkier yarn. The Caron website says it is “better than ever.” Interesting advertising, but doesn’t tell us anything!

April 19, 2012 at 4:30 pm
(19) Susan King says:

I can’t find Dazzleaire on line either. I really wanted to make a throw that calls for Caron Dazzleaire bulky in the color pinot noir. The pattern comes from “Crochet” magazine. The issue was from Autumn 2011, which is not that long ago. Any Ideas?

April 24, 2012 at 9:11 am
(20) Cynthia says:

Where can you find it? I emailed the company asking about bulky dazzleaire yarn and they said they don’t make it anymore.

July 26, 2012 at 4:44 pm
(21) Marjie says:

Amy, I have looked everywhere for a skein of the old 3 ply Dazzle aire to finish a lovely scarf I started a month or so back with yarn I had been hoarding. I miscalculated the amount I would need, si now I need a skein in Lilac #2744. If anyone has one, I’ll be glad to purchase it. You have my e-mail address in case anyone responds.???

February 9, 2013 at 5:34 pm
(22) jackie says:

I need the old color of butterscotch

March 30, 2014 at 7:14 pm
(23) Barb Taylor says:

Jackie, I am also looking for Dazzleaire Butterscotch. Did you ever find some? I have UFO I’d like to finish