1. Home

Amy Solovay

No Yarn at Walmart

By August 8, 2011

Yesterday I walked out of Walmart without buying anything. I was on a yarn mission, and there wasn't a single inch of yarn for sale in the store anywhere.

It's been awhile since I've been to Walmart -- probably somewhere around a year. Last time I was there, they'd cut back on their yarn offerings, but I still found stuff worth buying. Now? Nothing. Nothing!

I only started shopping at Walmart regularly a couple of years ago when I started this gig designing crochet patterns for y'all here at crochet.about.com; I wanted to make sure to use yarns that are widely available, and I know that, for many of you, Walmart is one of the few choices you have available locally. For the stuff I crochet outside of About.com, I'm into vintage yarns and threads that are tricky to locate, and I really don't want to put you all through the hassle of looking for thread or yarn that hasn't been available since sometime last century.

I'm furious that Walmart drove so many local yarn stores, and local craft stores, out of business -- and then dumped their craft section.

I also wonder whether that turned out to be a good business decision for them. In the past, I used to go into Walmart for yarn. I used to take my time shopping, looking at all the colors, attempting to match up dye lots, etc. My husband would get antsy, so he'd wander off to do some shopping of his own; he'd go look at the sporting goods, maybe pick up a bike chain, a new pair of socks, some pens and notebooks or whatever. By the time we were finished shopping, the cart would be loaded up.

Now we don't have much of a reason to walk into the store in the first place. For stuff like bike chains, Walmart is never going to be our first choice of retailers, you know what I mean? But, we have many, many options apart from Walmart, and I know that isn't the case for everyone.

I ended up buying a good bit of what I wanted at JoAnn.

Is "my" Walmart the only one, or did yours stop carrying yarn too?

So, now that there's no yarn at Walmart, where are y'all shopping these days?

Related Resources:

Comments

August 8, 2011 at 10:40 am
(1) Trish says:

For 5 years I lived in an area where yarn shopping was limited and I got my yarn at Walmart most of the time. At the time I shopped at Walmart for my toiletries, cleaning suplies and yarn. Then they downsized the craft dept’s to half or almost nothing. My yarn shopping was limited and I didn’t get my other supplies there as often as I did before.

Now I live in a city with more options but I still check out the yarn at Walmart; although I don’t buy much there now as the selection is really bad and half the time the shelves are empty. So far all of the Walmarts in my area still carry yarn, albeit a slim selection but I won’t be surprised if they cut it altogether. The craft dept cutback is a good example of top execs who don’t know or understand their customer base.

August 8, 2011 at 10:54 am
(2) Michelle says:

Walmart has closed a lot of small shops. Their buying tactics are down right criminal. My family has a 41 year old craft shop struggling to survive. Most of our prices beat Walmarts but no one ever bothers to look because of their huge ad budget. Contact yarn companies like Red Heart, Lion Brand and Spinrite, ask them if they have someone in your area. You never know what little gem might be around the corner that you never knew was there. Maybe even start your own shop. $500 worth of yarn and some free classes could just be the start of something big. $100 and free classes was all it took my Grandmother 41yrs ago.

August 8, 2011 at 3:18 pm
(3) Ren says:

It is the same for my area – major metropolitan. I have begun buying my yarn from a retailer based in my state that also does NOT open on Sundays, which I respect.

August 8, 2011 at 3:29 pm
(4) Sandra says:

All 3 of the Walmarts in my area continue to stock yarn, but merchandising leaves A LOT to be desired. I made large blankets recently for my granddaughters using a cotton yarn at Walmart. I will not do that again. It was all but impossible to find what I needed at 2 of the stores. Balls of yarn of assorted colors were stacked in front of each other on a shelf barely higher than the yarn, plus the shelves were close to the floor. Ack! I agree WM is one retailer that does not care about its customer base. The 1 Joann’s store in my area doesn’t stock much of a selection. Once I find what I want, many times I will order online and ditch the hassle of running around trying to find my stock. Maybe I will just open a shop — always wanted to have my own place!

August 8, 2011 at 3:50 pm
(5) Denise J says:

Our Wal-Mart in Mankato MN has yarn and some other crafts. If they ever stop sailing yarn and other crafts I would really be bummed.

August 8, 2011 at 4:54 pm
(6) Joann says:

Our Walmart cut back completely on fabrics and yarns, replacing them with one short aisle of various craft items. It’s not a place you want to shop for crafts or needlework, believe me! I recently heard they will be bringing back fabrics, so who knows, they may also bring back yarn. If not, I, like you, will do very little shopping there. I have too many other places to shop for my needlecraft needs.

August 8, 2011 at 5:22 pm
(7) Carmen says:

The craft section of Walmart in my area has a couple cheap sewing machines and a couple aisles of beads and scrapbooking supplies. My best option is Michael’s. The JoAnn’s in my area doesn’t have much in yarn.

August 8, 2011 at 5:57 pm
(8) Jan says:

My Wal Mart had cut it’s yarn drastically when we got the Super Wal Mart.I went Saturday and we has a whole aisle of yarn, again. Yipee!!!!!!!!!!!

August 8, 2011 at 9:59 pm
(9) Rianne says:

Our Wal-Mart Superstore did like many and dumped their craft department. But, the Wal-Mart business plan is to change things up every 5 years and re-design the store. Our store is getting the fabric department back. Yay! How much of a fabric department, will have to wait to be seen. Also, don’t know if there will be much in the way of crafts. We do have a Hobby Lobby here, and they carry quite a bit more yarn than does Wal-Mart. The nearest Michael’s, JoAnns, Hancocks Fabrics is at least 1 1/2 hr drive, so pretty much rely on the Wal-Mart and Hobby Lobby.

August 8, 2011 at 10:19 pm
(10) angie w says:

The last time we went to Walmart was about a month ago. thier yarn department is very skimpy, and very little choice of yarn thickness.
I like the thin one for babies..but i like it for shawls and stuff like that.
They now have very little in the way of fabrics but i still like to go and find fabrics for making my pretty nighty dresses.
Oh well, i figured sooner or later the end of the world was coming.

August 8, 2011 at 10:44 pm
(11) Eileen says:

My Wal-Mart is lacking in a lot of things. Like you said, they have run the small shops out of business and now I have to go to JoAnne’s for my craft supplies or order them on-line. Wal-Mart is really not what they were when Sam Wlaton was alive. I feel like if they continue the way they are going here, they will be loosing lots, lots of customers.

August 9, 2011 at 7:50 am
(12) Samme says:

Our Walmarts in NE Louisiana continue to carry a good selection of yarns, mostly RH, most even have a quilting and sewing section with fabric. However, I tend to go to JoAnn’s, Michaels, or HobLob if I’m looking for something very specific. WM is ok for the SuperSaver, white, Aran, black etc. I agree with the comment about driving others out of business, then changing their stock. Over and over they’ve done this.

August 9, 2011 at 10:58 pm
(13) Diane says:

My Walmart has drastically reduced their yarn content to a half of an aisle. When they remodeled, the crafts went to the back of the store. They stock Red Heart, some Caron, Homespun and baby yarn. They have limited colors and lots of sections are empty. They did bring back fabrics but they are precut by the factory.

Sadly I think it is a sign of the times. I don’t think crafting is as big as it used to be. I think it is sad because I think creating is so satisfying and relaxing.

August 10, 2011 at 12:48 am
(14) Amy says:

Thanks for all the interesting comments, everyone! I really appreciate the insights.

Michelle, I envy you the yarn store (in a good way!) How I would love to have a lovely little store to teach crochet classes and chat with like-minded crafters. I hope your family can hang in there in these challenging times.

I’ve found a neat little yarn / craft store in Avalon, California (On Catalina Island,) where I do some shopping every time I visit. Catalina Crafters is the name of the store. They carry some of the brands that Joann does (for example, Bernat Softee baby yarn, which I’ve used for several of my baby afghan patterns.) They also have higher-end yarns like you’d find in a LYS.

If y’all ever have a chance to visit Avalon, it’s a great place to pick up yarns and crafty goodies. For such a small retail space, she has an outstanding selection of stuff — tools, hooks, yarn, scrapbooking supplies, plus handcrafts made by local artisans. Last time I was there I bought some wonderful soaps and other sundries.

The comments about the “super Walmarts” are interesting. Now that you mention it, that Walmart expanded, and now has many more groceries than before. (The groceries are now roughly in the spot that the yarn used to be.) I am not sure whether that has anything to do with it or not. At any rate, they still have a little bit of scrapbooking stuff — mostly photo albums. Not much.

August 10, 2011 at 9:16 am
(15) Sandy says:

My family ran a textile store for 10 years, it had fabrics, yarns, notions and sewing machines. Then Walmart came to town, and we closed the store, not being able to compete with the prices they were offering. Now, not only is the yarn selection at Walmart very limited, (I ran in the other day to see if there was something that I could start a new crochet project with and found more empty bins than ones with anything in them), but now there is nothing is fabrics. It seems to be the way with the BIG chains – and especially Walmart – to come into a town, close the Mom and Pop stores that have been there for years, offers a service for a little while, and then change what they offer. I only go to Walmart now when they have a really good deal on the frozen pizza!!!

August 10, 2011 at 1:04 pm
(16) HELEN says:

My Walmart has also gotten cheap on all their crafts. It was great in the beginning but now I can’t find anything. I would shop all the time at Walmart but they don’t seem to ever have what I need anymore. I’m glad to see that it’s not just me that sees it. My husband also feels that Walmart has gotten lousy with the things he gets. Come on Walmart get with the program!!!!!

August 10, 2011 at 6:18 pm
(17) Amy says:

Sandy, thanks for the comment, although your post made me feel unbelievably sad. I am really, really sorry about your family’s store closing. :(

Yeah, same with the fabrics at the Walmart closest to us. There used to be a fabric table, and they took that out — I forget exactly when — but I think it’s been over a year; I don’t think they had fabric any more when I shopped there a year ago. I didn’t buy my fabric at Walmart, but I’m sure the people who did are totally bummed.

August 10, 2011 at 6:21 pm
(18) Amy says:

Diane, sounds like “your” Walmart used to have about the same stuff as mine used to have. They also used to carry some crochet thread too, and a few other things.

August 11, 2011 at 8:40 am
(19) Abbey says:

I’m disabled and don’t get out much, even when I used to be able to I didn’t shop in big stores much (crowds give me the willies!!!), so I’ve been buying yarn and books online ever since this became possible in the early 1990s.
My go-to place is Herrschners, with Jo-Ann a close second, there’s also Jimmy Bean’s Wool (“nice” yarns at comparatively cheaper prices). While I adore the small craft shops and yarn stores online, budget doesn’t allow for much purchasing there; fave is Loopy Ewe, though. Recently found Knitting Warehouse which seems to be very cheap and shipping is fast, although their website needs work – difficult to find stuff there!
Tip: google purchase yarn, but then scroll past the first page or so, and you may find lots of very good places to purchase online, also check out ravelry.com if you haven’t as yet; they have an enormous amount of info re. yarns and places to purchase; it’s a tremendous resource for ALL things knit/crochet!

August 11, 2011 at 4:20 pm
(20) Kathy says:

I live in NH and most of the WalMarts in this area have a very limited selection of yard. The closest one to me has about 3/4 of a small aisle devoted to yarn, but w/ limited amounts and colors. They have added to their fabric section but not alot in the way of buttons, trimmings, etc. There are no local stores that sell crafts supplies unless you travel about 50+ miles. I feel bad for the older ladies who do alot of crafts and really counted on getting their supplies from WalMart as it was close and one stop shopping.

August 12, 2011 at 9:56 am
(21) carol says:

I cannot find varigated crochet threads any where, all we have is wal mart, with some plain colors, but non of the varigated types for flowers etc. on doilys
guess us old grannies are not supposed to crochet or knit, then what i do find the price is rediculous! thatnks for your post on this

August 12, 2011 at 5:41 pm
(22) Joi says:

I went yarn shopping today; I usually shop at Walmart for my yarn but I wanted something special for a baby today and went to JoAnn Fabrics. My Walmart has a single isle of yarn and the selection is usally the basics. JoAnn had at least five isles of yarn. So much to choose from and every color. :)

August 14, 2011 at 4:02 am
(23) ErinLindsey says:

Last time I went to WalMart, they had yarn. They’d redone the craft department. They now sell fabric again! (sold on mini-bolts that only hold 2yds of fabric)

The yarn aisle had grown. They added a bunch of new Red Heart, some Bernat, some of Vanna White’s yarn, and a bunch of kitchen cotton.

I was happy to see all the new yarn, and a little surprised at the fabric. When I worked for Walmart 10yrs ago (in the fabric dept) they had rumours that they were going to get rid of the fabric by the yard and go to packages like what I saw the other day. Never thought I’d actually see it.

At least they’re bringing back a small amount of fabric and they’ve got some halfway decent acrylic yarn back again.

August 15, 2011 at 2:52 pm
(24) Jean H says:

I don’t care ! Never shop there for ‘anything’
bye;
Jean H

August 15, 2011 at 2:53 pm
(25) lazycrochet says:

A little Walmart in upstate NY has all of the new With Love colors of Red Heart yarn and the other bigger Walmarts don’t even know what it is. That store also has the new Super Saver colors while even AC Moore doesn’t have them yet. Oh, and all the Walmarts around here have brought back the fabric dept too.

August 15, 2011 at 2:59 pm
(26) Martha R. says:

Over the last several years, Walmart has slowly lessened their yarn and the quality of it while they continue to raise the price. I wait til Michaels, Hobby Lobby and other stores have sales and or a percentage off entire purchase to get my yarn now. But I was out just a few days ago at Walmart, and I learned they are bringing back the fabric department due to so many complaints they have received from consumers such as you and me. So let your voice be heard…it may take a while, and then again it may not. Like others have said here, I’m not all that excited about going to WalMart any more, but maybe this will change after they bring back the fabric department.

August 15, 2011 at 3:00 pm
(27) Debbie says:

A couple of months ago I went to our Walmart. The first place I go is to the clearance aisle. The had tons of yarn on clearnance all different brands. They also had the big crochet cotton on clearance. I bough all but two of them. I should have bought them also I went back and they were gone. I went over to the aisle that they sell the yarn and knitting and crocheting supplies. The downsized it big time. The closest place to us that sell yarn is 20/25 minutes away. I can not afford the yarn at the other store. I am so disappointed with Walmart. The downsized there craft department several years.

August 15, 2011 at 3:03 pm
(28) Nancy says:

I shop Wal-Mart for everything. Mine has a pretty good selection of yarn for prices you cannot beat anywhere else including online. They will also order yarn for you if you ask, providing they deal with that company. I’ve never had a problem with them at all for any reason and there are no other shops in this area, nor were there before, that carried yarn. It’s probably 30 miles one way to the nearest Michael’s here, so I depend on Wal-Mart for all crafting supplies.

August 15, 2011 at 3:04 pm
(29) Suzetta says:

Our Wal-Mart in Bellingham, WA still has a nice selection of yarns and fabrics in the “craft” department. We are classed a rural store and I wonder if that is why.

For a town our size we are blessed to also have a Michaels and JoAnn ETC. We have lots of Canadian neighbors who come down shop in B’ham.

August 15, 2011 at 3:05 pm
(30) Ann C says:

I only shop at Wal Mart as a LAST resort because of their policy of driving out mom and pop stores and then either raising prices or lowering selection. I’ve seen this happen in the midwest but now live in a metropolitan area where I can find goods more easily.

August 15, 2011 at 3:20 pm
(31) Kelli Hitsman says:

We have both a Walmart & a Super Walmart in the town where I live. The Super Walmart has a craft department that is totally useless. The regular Walmart has a bit more but still almost useless. That’s why most of the crafters around here go to Hobby Lobby or JoAnn’s. knitters & crocheters also have the option of 2 locally owed yarn shops.

August 15, 2011 at 3:20 pm
(32) OzarksUSA says:

The last time I went to my Wal-Mart’s craft department was probably two months ago. The yarn is down to half an aisle, with only a few colors and only a few types of yarn. I do more cross-stitching than anything, and they no longer have any supplies for that or embroidery. It amazes me, because lately there has been a huge resurgence in the popularity of knitting and crochet and Wal-Mart is chopping their crafts department smaller and smaller. The closest Hobby Lobby is over an hour away. I heard once (from someone in Wal-Mart) there may still be a small fabric store open in the area, but I can’t find it. Sigh.

August 15, 2011 at 3:26 pm
(33) Kelly-Ann says:

I live in Canada. The Walmarts here still have yarn, maybe only one isle but it’s still there all kinds of brands and colors. They took out the yard goods and patterns and added other crafts. If they cut out the yarn I’m in trouble as I live in a small town and the other yarn store I can’t afford, which means an hours drive to go to a big craft store in the city.

August 15, 2011 at 3:29 pm
(34) alice berry says:

Our new Walmart moved in a few years ago, and we were tickled over the big selection of yarn, material etc. Then they decided to re-do the store. Very little yarn selectino, material and hobbie things are there now..and they moved it in the back corner of the store. At one time I had heard they were going to get rid of it completely. I talked to the employees and they said I had heard right, so I complained to the manager, wrote emails every day to the company, someone called me from the office and I complained to them…then I was told it would be down sized but it would not be taken out completely. I look at Walmart first, if I can not find what I need I go to the new Joann’s a few miles away. Walmart shoud be ashamed…..

August 15, 2011 at 3:45 pm
(35) Becky M. says:

Try buying your yarn on line at http://www.dropsdesign.com or http://www.smileysyarn.com or http://www.knitpicks.com or http://www.elann.com If you want to see it before you buy it, buy a color card, each color card is only a couple of dollars. With a color card you don’t have to leave your house to see the latest selection. Te prices at these webistes can not be beat! Many of the websites I mentioned offer luxury yarn (highest quality animal and plant fibers) with prices that are comparable or even less than the big box stores, like Wal-mart, Joanne, Hobby Lobby and Michael’s. You will be so glad you checked this out. Forget about Super Saver yarn and yarns like it. Your yarn will make or break your project.

August 15, 2011 at 3:49 pm
(36) N J Gill says:

If you shop at Walmart, you are reaping what you sowed when you supported them as they drove the locals out of business.

August 15, 2011 at 3:54 pm
(37) Debra Wolf says:

About five years ago, our WalMart in rural Mississippi cut~down dramatically on the yarn selection. They completely eliminated the material section. And other craft material became scant, if there at all.

However, a month ago, our WalMart brought back many yarns; expanding to almost as large of a selection as it had over five years ago. A smaller selection of fabrics has re~appeared. Craft materials are on the rise.

I am thinking that part of that change this past month is due to the volume {not just in loudness but also in number} of complaints. The employees/associates themselves protested the loss of yarns, fabrics, and other crafting materials. Customers such as myself, complained online to WalMart as well as singling out shift and general managers.

WalMart’s selection is not what it had been, is not plentiful, and is not enough. But it is better now than it’s been these last five years. Also, there are now some LYS opening in our region of the state ~~ in part due to WalMart not offering what they had in the past.

Hopefully, we will be able to have a nice selection of places to go, yarn to buy, etc Here lately, I’ve occasionally bought yarns online. So that’s an option that I’m appreciating!

Have a great week, grins, Debra

August 15, 2011 at 4:18 pm
(38) Paula Patterson says:

I have found wonderful choices and great prices at knitting-warehouse.com. They also ship very fast. I’ve been using them for quite a few years now and have never been disappointed.

August 15, 2011 at 4:18 pm
(39) Anned says:

You are correct with wm, as the one in our area took most of the yarn out of store and stocked it with food products. I know we have to eat, but what happens to the people that enjoy crafts and can’t purchase any in the store. We now go elsewhere and don’t really shop their anymore. They did have a wonderful selection of yarns years ago. Get the higher ups to realize they need to bring back the huge big yarn section again.

August 15, 2011 at 4:25 pm
(40) Margie says:

Last time I was in the Walmart near me in Oxnard, CA, the fabrics and yarn had been greatly reduced. They had a wonderful selection of both. I was so disappointed, and hardly shop there anymore. They don’t realize how they are hurting their other business by taking away these departments. I go to Michael’s now for yarn and use their 40% off coupon. Your loss Walmart.

August 15, 2011 at 4:28 pm
(41) Deborah says:

Where I shop Wal-Mart they have yarn in both Wal-Mart in Valdosta,GA.

Nice selections!

August 15, 2011 at 4:35 pm
(42) Susan says:

Out WalMart here in House Springs Missouri has announced it is actually bringing BACK fabric and crafts in many of the area stores! House Springs WalMart is one of the last “old style/small” WalMarts, and we like it like that. They cut back on fabrics and crafts somewhat, but not to the extent other WalMarts have. We still seem to have plenty of yarn and fabrics, but not as much as we used to. We are hoping all that will change with this new policy. I hope it spreads to other parts of the country, too!

August 15, 2011 at 4:42 pm
(43) Becca says:

I stopped shopping for yarn, threat, etc. years ago. I have found many places online to buy everything I need, including JoAnn’s. I hope this helps other people that may have a hard time finding a place to buy crochet supplies (or even knitting).

August 15, 2011 at 4:42 pm
(44) Leslie says:

My Walmart carries yarn and some accessories as well. The selection is adequate and I am happy I can get yarn so close to home. I think some items are stocked according to demographics and not necessarily the same items in the same size store (markeplace vs superstore) etc.

I appreciate it that you recommend yarns in your patterns that are supposedly easily available. Thanks again. I do enjoy your website.

August 15, 2011 at 4:46 pm
(45) Denise says:

I just recently contacted the arkansas headquarters and was directed to the regional manager in my area for the lack of availability of both yarn and fabric. The regional manager had a lengthy discussion with me and told me that Walmart realizes they have made a bad tactical decision in eliminating the craft depts. from the stores. He assured me that they are trying to “turn the ship around” and go back to the original model. Apparently, our actions (or lack of) have gained their attention.

August 15, 2011 at 4:57 pm
(46) Joyce says:

Between JoAnn’s and Hobby Lobby with their coupons they can most of the time beat WalMart prices on yarn.

August 15, 2011 at 5:01 pm
(47) Kaytee says:

The local Walmarts still have some yarn, but very limited in both # of varieties/brands and # of color choices for the varieties/brands they do have. Red Heart Super Saver and Lion Brand Homespun have the most “choices”, but even those have only ~ half the number of colors as they do at Michaels (they are ~10% cheaper, though). And the bins tend to be empty/near empty, because they don’t keep up with stocking them/re-ordering.

August 15, 2011 at 5:29 pm
(48) Diana says:

The WalMart where I live stopped carrying yarn around three years ago. I was so disappointed for that was the only store I could go to purchase yarn.

August 15, 2011 at 5:36 pm
(49) Jeannie says:

I live in a small town and our walmart is not a super center. They used to carry yarn and material, but, now do not carry either one. I have to drive 30 minutes to an hour just to get to a supercenter. If I put another 30 minutes with it I can go to Hobby Lobby which has a better selection than the supercenters. It has really made me upset to think that we have no choices locally.

August 15, 2011 at 5:44 pm
(50) Susan says:

Thank goodness the WalMart where I shop has NOT dumped its craft, fabric and YARN! I’d have to drive 30 miles to get common 4-ply yarn or baby yarn that doesn’t have designer prices, and I use a lot of both! Hooray for Placerville!

August 15, 2011 at 6:02 pm
(51) Gerry says:

Our stores here had cut down on the yarns but are still keeping lots there as I go there and really complain to the clerks. Do you ladies know that you just call 1-800=walmart and complain to that person and I think you will eventually see a difference. This is what I and a lot of others did here. And you just cant stop at one call there, keep it up. I wont shop Joann as the prices are out of this world and the people working there are too. (really nasty type people) I have had several bad experiences there so know what I am talking of and wont go back.
You may have to really look around for the yarn dept as in our store it was moved to the back of the store, next to the shoe dept and was hard to relocate but a nice clerk told me where they had moved it so I am still getting all my yarns there.
Good luck to all and MAKE THOSE FREE PHONE CALLS TO THE MAIN OFFICE. 1-800-WALMART and ask for them to keep the yarns coming. People havent stopped their hobby of crocheting for their families and it is needed now. In my stores here the prices have been raised but are still better than Joann’s.

August 15, 2011 at 6:35 pm
(52) Gertrude says:

The Walmart I used to shop at no longer carries yarn. I went to a different Walmart with my sister-in-law and it was great but not convenient to get to. Well, one day we went to Jo-Ann Fabric one day and I loved it! JoAnn’s is not easy to get to though. Walmart is pissing me off though! I depended on them! In my opinion JoAnn’s has Michaels and Hobby Lobby beat!

August 15, 2011 at 6:44 pm
(53) Beverly says:

From what I was told by our Walmart crafts manager, ALL Walmart stores were phasing out their yarn and fabric. All we have left at ours is cake decorating stuff, a few glues, some sewing needles and a few beads. Even our JoAnn’s is phasing out their yarn dept. Looks like all my yarns from no one will have to be purchased by mail or internet. :(

August 15, 2011 at 6:49 pm
(54) Janis R says:

I agree about the lack of yarns and choices at WM. The WM here in Petersburg and Colonial Heights, VA have only half aisle of yarn and not much choice. I usually have to go to Michaels or Joanns. Although Joanns here doesn’t have a great choice either. I have to go to Richmond to get any good yarns. But back to WM they don’t seem to carry alot of things I need to by. If I’m going to have to go to other stores for part of my purchases, why not for all of them.
I am so glad to see this post. I thought I was the only one with this problem. Also, we have no local yarns shops in an hour radius from me. Very frustrating.

August 15, 2011 at 7:00 pm
(55) Janet says:

I Hate WalMart! Their yarn is junk! I will never buy yarn from there again!

August 15, 2011 at 7:02 pm
(56) Dorothy says:

One of our local WalMart stores carries yarn & another one doesn’t. I’m not sure why, I suppose the store manager makes the decision.

August 15, 2011 at 7:13 pm
(57) Katherine says:

One of the Wal stores here in Philly stopped selling fabric and yarn. I phoned the 800 number, numerous time. They said thank you for your concern regarding yarn. Three weeks later, yarn was back in the store, but I favor Vanna White’s yarn against other soft yarn, and they will no longer carry her yarn.
I went to another Wal store, and the clerk said it just came in. Well, she went to get it for me, and I never saw her again. I’ve never gone back to Walmart’s since, and that’s been over a year ago. I now purchase from Joann’s and from Herrschner’s.
Great yarn selections, and great prices.

August 15, 2011 at 7:49 pm
(58) Sue says:

I agree with you. In the past I would go to Walmart for yarn and wander around and never leave with just yarn. Now like you I don’t go there nearly as often as I did. Their craft section is laughable, but it used to be wonderful! Maybe if enough people comment on this, Walmart will do something about this. We can only hope.

August 15, 2011 at 7:56 pm
(59) DottieB says:

I worked for Walmart for over 10 yrs. and I know exactly what you are talking about. I went just last week, and there were shelves empty of most yarns. I asked the Associate who was in that isle where the yarn was. She said the new shipment hadn’t been received as yet. HA! I went to the other Walmart and found that the yarn that had shrunk before, had shrunk once mores!!!!!! When they got rid of the fabric, I told them they were crazy because lots of people still sewed, quilted or crafted with it. Apparently, they don’t listen to Associate OR customers.

August 15, 2011 at 8:05 pm
(60) Pixie says:

My Wal-Mart has cut way down on it’s yarn selection.I have bought most of my yarn at Wal-Mart. If my local Wal-Mart would close down their yarn department once my stash is used up i would have to quit crocheting and knitting :( I do get lucky sometimes and find yarn at yard/garage sales and flea markets. Shame on Wal-Mart do they realize how many of us use yarn! Evidently not or they just don’t care!!!!

August 15, 2011 at 8:22 pm
(61) Gleda says:

The Wal-Mart in my Connecticut town has yarn, but stock is greatly reduced. I shop at A.C. Moore (I guess this is the Northeast’s answer to Hobby Lobby), Joanne and Michael’s.

August 15, 2011 at 8:29 pm
(62) ArtemIs says:

After driving out the local mom & pop’s Walmart came in with a large craft section. Now that large section is relegated to 3/4 of an aisle. I am truly disappointed with the lack of mom & pop’s! I have to drive 1.5-3 hours to go to shops with varied selections. I’m a tactile shopper. In a pinch I will order limited supplies online from all the shops already mentioned. It’s quite difficult to choose colors from a magazine or a monitor.

From a family of fiberholics it’s a real shame! I will purchase items and have a small stash for planned projects. Strategic planning at it’s best at the cost of losing some of the creative zest.

August 15, 2011 at 8:38 pm
(63) Delores says:

Walmart has cut way back on craft supplies. I was looking for embroidery hoops – NONE. Tape measure (how basic) NONE. Crochet hooks, knitting needles didn’t find what I wanted. Fred Meyers (Kroeger’s in other places), JoAnn Fabrics have more supplies.

I used to shop at Walmart regularly, but not any more. I find
just as good buys at other stores.

August 16, 2011 at 12:17 am
(64) Authenic2u says:

I used to get a lot of my craft supplies, both for crocheting and beadwork at Wal Mart. Then they cut down on their beading supples (after they put two of my favorite bead stores out of business), and now they have stopped carrying yarn supplies all together. I really think that Wal Mart has done such an injustice to a lot of people by closing down their craft department. A woman who was in the store the same time as I was a few weeks ago went and talked to the manager about how hurt she felt. Well, she was told that all Wal Marts have been mandated to eliminate their craft departments as they are moving in another direction. The manager also told her that she should have gotten a clue when they got rid of their sewing supplies about 3 years ago and slowly closed out their other crafting areas. He said that the only part of crafts that is selling is scrapbooking and they will carry it for a while, but when the tide changes, they will get rid of it too and have no crafts at all.
I think that was a shame. Not only what was said to her, but also how the manager said it and then he laughed. Disgusting!!

August 16, 2011 at 12:21 am
(65) Allison White says:

The Wal-Mart by where I live in northern Ca. has a very small amount of yarn. Not even enough of one kind to make a decent size project. What is so sad for me is the Wal-Mart is 22 miles away and the only store that carried yarn. The nearest after that is 89 miles away. I have stopped crocheting because of it. All the stores I find on line are so much more expensive than Wal-Mart was.

August 16, 2011 at 12:32 am
(66) Authenic2u says:

One last comment, where in my local area, (Seattle) do you find decent…decent priced yarn now. I have checked out JoAnne’s, Michaels and a few other stores, but their craft’s are just as expensive as ordering on line unless you catch a good sale. Perhaps someone out there can give me some information. I have a few projects I would like to start work on.

August 16, 2011 at 1:25 am
(67) ReniC in Az says:

Hi Amy-
First of all: Call WalMart and let them know of your displeasure at the small or lack of yarn section. Make a campaign of it if you can.
When I walked in to my local “WalMall” after a complete remodeling, I was stunned that they downsized all of the craft dept. to about 1/4 of what it was. Just before this happened, they were starting to carry some great yarns. Now, almost void.
When I made a comment to my daughter how disappointed I was in Wal-Mart, the craft dept. clerk close by immediately jumped in and said to call 1-800 WalMart and complain.
I ahve one very tiny LYS in my small town and that’s it. They carry beautiful yarn and some is high end but for many of my projects, I need less expensive yarns and thread simply because of the total costs for crochet projects like afghans.
Call them and complain! Numbers of complaints speak volumes.

August 16, 2011 at 1:45 am
(68) sandi says:

Wow, sorry you had such a bad experience with your shopping trip. Our WalMart just expanded their sewing & craft area & tons of colors of yarn, RH, Caron, LionBrand, some baby yarn & Peaches & Cream cotton plus size 3,10, & 20 cotton thread. Wonder if I should ‘bang’ JoAnn’s or Michaels for not having a store in my area & don’t carry my every need? (now that would be silly)
I also feel that I should say that you, as a professional person with so many followers might please consider keeping your ‘store banging’ a personal opinion. Which you might consider in the future. I belong to several crochet/knit groups online & that type of ‘banging’ is not allowed.
Signed, A WalMart, Hobby Lobby, KMart, Target, Bealls, JC Penney, Sears, Brookshire Brothers & HEB Shopper (not just one store carries my every need) sandi_chandler@yahoo.com

August 16, 2011 at 1:48 am
(69) sandi says:

And by the way, did you think to ask if they had discontinued those items no found on a temporary or permanent basis since you’re not a regular shopper?

August 16, 2011 at 2:28 am
(70) Julia Acuna says:

I shop at JoAnn’s Fabrics, Michaels, and Beverly’s. Sometimes I find good yarn at the Goodwill. Walmart used to be good, now they suck.

August 16, 2011 at 3:28 am
(71) Regina Beaulac says:

I agree with you regarding Walmart driving out the competition and our Walmart not only stopped carrying yarn but they also did away with the fabric department. About the only reasonably priced craft stores we have left are also JoAnn’s. After learning how they have treated many women that were employed with them I for one think all women should shop somewhere else, I find our Greatland Target a good alternative for a lot of what I need.

August 16, 2011 at 6:16 am
(72) Eliza says:

In the Boise Area we have always had yarn!! I guess lucky us!

August 16, 2011 at 7:24 am
(73) Annette says:

My Walmart in Marshall Tx is the only place in about a 30 mile area that has material and yarn. BUT it recently went thru a store wide remodel and cut down on both now there’s never enough yarn for any big project . I go to Longview about 30-35 miles for Michaels and Hobby Lobby but If I need something different and special or any type of advice I go to Stitches N Stuff in Longview TX. This is run by sisters who have published wonderful patterns for both crochet and knit. They have the specialty yarns and thread and its my girl place to go.

August 16, 2011 at 7:48 am
(74) Mary Keller says:

I also got disgusted with my neighborhood Wal-Mart as there are no convenient craft stores in my area. First they stopped carrying most sewing supplies, except for sewing machines and the yarn is almost gone. Other box stores are very expensive with these supplies. Wal-mart claims they are all American so what could be more American than crafting at home?

August 16, 2011 at 8:07 am
(75) Jennifer says:

To be honest, I never shop for yarn at Walmart until one day I went to get toiletries for my niece and realized that they sell yarn, and I brought some. A few month later I went back and they did not have but a few.

Most of my purchases are from a variety of stores. Example Herrschners, Michaels, Mary Maxim and Annie’s Attic.

August 16, 2011 at 12:13 pm
(76) Janice says:

My local JoAnn store has cut their yarn section so low it’s not even worth going in to shop for it. I was furious the last time I went in and saw that they had gone from 5 isles to 2. They push their own brand, but it’s not worth the bother. Michael’s and AC Moore are the best places in the area to get a decent selection. AC Moore also has a small selection of free pattern sheets with the purchase of yarn. I only buy on sale and have a pretty good stash. Thank goodness I did because there really isn’t much out there that’s affordable. Please, spread the word that the knitters and crocheters out there need our yarn.

August 16, 2011 at 12:24 pm
(77) Lois says:

Like so many of you, Walmart is the only place to find yarn,,but the super center in Orange, Texas, has cut down to a very small selection..and the prices are just too high.
Years ago, we had a Gibsons, and a couple other places to shop for yarn (and material)now only walmart,..I have been able to find some at garage sales, but not as frequent as I would like. It is frustrating to say the least. ONline yarn is more expensive.The other thing is the tax free weekend for school clothes, dose not include yarn or material,,I have never understood that.

August 16, 2011 at 1:36 pm
(78) Kimberly says:

The walmart that is around the corner from my house still stocks yarn but like many of the comments their selection is not worth my time to even look around anymore. I have found that Michaels craft store is a lot nicer and has great selections, unfortunately it’s 45 minutes to drive there. I would rather spend my time driving then searching walmart :)

August 16, 2011 at 2:12 pm
(79) Karen says:

WalMart has done the same thing that JoAnn and Michaels did earlier in Southern California. Now there are no speciality yarn or fabric stores within 20 miles and JoAnn is closing a lot of their stores. I do most of my yarn shopping at Michaels or on-line.

August 16, 2011 at 2:35 pm
(80) Katie says:

I read recently that Walmart was taking the opportunity to find new customers among the people who used to shop at more high end stores but whose discretionary spending had to change because of the bad economy. In an effort to lure new customers, Walmart had to make room for some “better” merchandise and chose to close the craft sections since they believe that the customers they were trying to attract would not be interested in crafting, but rather in buying ready-made goods. In an effort to draw new, higher-income customers, Walmart turned its back on their loyal customer base. They don’t realize that these new customers will stop shopping at Walmart as soon as their incomes recover. In the meantime, they have permanently lost the crafting customers.

August 16, 2011 at 6:50 pm
(81) Valerie H says:

Our local WalMart here in Texas several years ago to do away with the cross stitch threads and supplies which left me in a tizzy about where to get threads then we got a Michaels! Then just last year WM decided with their latest remodel to do away with the fabrics and cut down on other crafts as well! That went over in our small town of quilters like a ton of bricks so recently they brought back the fabric by the yard and have expanded the yarn selection once more! Still waiting on cross stitch supplies (not hopeful)!

August 16, 2011 at 9:27 pm
(82) Shari says:

I joined a Church prayer shawl group. I have not had to purchase yarn in over a year unless I want to make something special. People bring tons of yarn that they have collected over the years and we are invited to take what we want. I make hats, baby blankets and shawls for the group to pass on. For the special items I will shop at JoAnn’s, or AC Moore. I also buy on line at Knit Picks or Herrschners, and a local owned shop called Unwind

August 16, 2011 at 9:43 pm
(83) JoVon says:

The Wal-Mart in my area seems to be carrying less and less yarn and what they do carry usually isn’t what I’m looking for.Like you I tend to use specialty yarn/thread and usually go to a local shop for my needs or the internet. I have crochet since I was about 8 when my grandma taught me, and I still have the hook she gave me for my first project.

August 16, 2011 at 11:15 pm
(84) Eve Wilson says:

I have noticed WM doesn’t have as much as they used to have in yarn as well as other craft stuff. I used to buy lace there 3 yards for a dollar & make lace dresses & little hats for teddy bears & also for photo albums & picture frames but they stopped selling it, in fact i cant find lace hardly anywhere any more. Guess its went “out of style!”

August 17, 2011 at 10:32 am
(85) Annie W says:

It is sad that so many of the Walmarts have discontinued fabric and yarn.

August 17, 2011 at 1:55 pm
(86) Ann says:

my local wally world has also cut down on our craft dept. They had taken out their compleate fabric dept only to 2yrs later put it back in the store. I also noticed that our yarn supply has dwindled as well.

August 17, 2011 at 3:04 pm
(87) Elizabeth says:

My Walmart has cut back on alot of yarns I use to use. That Knook that is suppose to sold at Walmart is nowhere to be found at any of the Walmarts I’ve been in. Their craft section is really a joke now. I find most of my yarns now at Michael’s or Hobby Lobby. So that means driving farther and paying more.

August 17, 2011 at 3:31 pm
(88) Holly says:

Can’t really understand why anyone would want to shop the limited selection at WalMart when there are so many lovely local yarn stores that stock such a wonderful variety of yarn at good price points. These local yarn stores (like other locally owned businesses) pump more into local economies than national chains, and we should all be shopping at them instead of WalMart anyway.

August 18, 2011 at 2:07 am
(89) Denise says:

I was devistated when I went to one of the Walmart Super Stores and found out that they had stop selling fabric. I used to go frequently to the fabric department and go crazy picking out various fabrics on the bolts, sometimes, buying the whole bolt! Now, there are at least two Walmarts that do not carry fabric anymore. They exist in other neighborhoods, but it is not fair that they would stop providing the same service at the stores that stopped selling material. Seamstrest exist in these areas too!

August 18, 2011 at 8:03 pm
(90) Linda says:

A new Super Walmart just replaced the other Walmart in our town. They were going to eliminate the crafts section of the store but got a lot of phone calls & letters complaining from those who knit, crochet, quilt and do other crafts. They kept the yarn and crafts section in our store.

August 20, 2011 at 11:32 am
(91) ann says:

It is hard to relay on a store for so long the one day they don’t carry the fabric section or the crafts/yarn section. They (floor person) would tell you that it isn’t a selling product. You think about what they say which you know that is one of the best selling products in the store.
I think it sucks when that happens cause now you have to find a store that sells higher priced yarn or fabric section.

August 20, 2011 at 5:06 pm
(92) Gertrude C. says:

Walmart was my place go to site for yarn shopping. I feel betrayed by their lack of consideration for all the hook and needle bearers out here who relied on them for their supplies.
That said, I made my first visit to JoAnn’s and I fell in love with the place. although inconvenient to get to it will be my yarn home from here on out.Bye bye Walmart! Goodbye!

August 27, 2011 at 1:41 am
(93) Pam says:

When Wal-Mart stopped the fabric at one of our local stores, my friend and I both wrote the CEO of Wal-Mart and expressed our concern and we never were given a letter or note, phone call. It was as if we had never written them at all. The girl that used to work in that department said all of the people she gave the address to said the same thing, they didn’t care! They would never take away the fishing department for men, or sports, why the fabric? Our stores in this area are still carrying yarn, but I’m not buying it there. I buy as little there as I possibly can get away with and I buy ALL of my yarn at Jo-Anns, and my jewelry making supplies, and my Wilton supplies and everything else. I figured I would be a one-woman wrecking crew when it comes to Wal-Mart and try not to pad their pockets since they didn’t care about me when I wrote. Jo-Anns takes other craft stores coupons, so there’s no need to go elsewhere.

August 27, 2011 at 4:23 pm
(94) debe says:

I hope some one from wallmart see,s this and makes some changes, they need to sell to the crafter too!

October 17, 2011 at 7:53 pm
(95) Sheila says:

Both of the nearest Walmarts near us sell yarn. TG because there is nothing in the local area as far as yarn shops except for high end stuff.