1. Home

Amy Solovay

How Crocheters and Crafters Can Help Victims of Hurricane Sandy

By November 5, 2012

Updated 11/5/2012:

I'm passing along the following info, which was provided by Nina Callaway, your Guide to weddings at About.com.

Nina says,

"I located a grassroots organization that has the capacity to accept mailed donations and is a long-term operation. (Many of the distribution centers are temporary, so I didn't want to give you an address that wouldn't work by the time readers sent blankets etc.)

Coney Island Generation Gap.
2904 Neptune Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11224
tel: (718) 975-0447.
Pamela Harris, President.

I spoke to Pamela Harris this evening, she said they'd be happy to accept and distribute blankets, and that they have an additional warehouse location in case there are many donations coming in. They also have the advantage of being in the affected area, so the gas shortage shouldn't stop them from getting the supplies."

In the first days after the storm, the requests were very general - people needed anything you could give. Now, as donations have poured in, the requests have gotten more specific. We still need blankets and warm coats, hats, and gloves. Please don't send other clothing as it has come in faster than people can sort/distribute it and displaced people don't have anywhere to store it. There is still some need for flashlights and batteries, as there are still many neighborhoods/buildings without power. However, we now also need cleanup supplies, specifically hand Sanitizer, bleach, laundry detergent, soaps, sponges, industrial brooms, shovels, mops, buckets, trash cans, garbage bags (heavy duty), gloves (rubber and work gloves), sanitizer wipes, face masks, and Lysol spray. "

(End quote.)

Thanks for the info, Nina. Much appreciated! I will be sending some love to Brooklyn ASAP! For those of you who are inclined to help, that is one possible place you could send donations; if you are moved to help "Superstorm Sandy's" victims in Haiti, you can scroll down for info and links about how you can get involved in that as well.

10/28/2012

As I sit here, stressing out on behalf of my friends and colleagues who are directly in Hurricane Sandy's path, it occurs to me that there are things I could be doing to help -- instead of just sitting here worrying, which helps nobody.

What I Am Doing, and What You Can Do Too.

There are a couple of things I decided to get started on. One is posting about resources for crocheters who want to help Hurricane Sandy's victims, but don't know how exactly to go about it. We can crochet dozens (or hundreds) of blankets, but that doesn't help unless we can actually get them to the people who need them...

...And the other thing I am doing is getting out my crochet hooks and yarn to get started on some projects to donate. Not only does crocheting calm my nerves at times like this, but it also makes me feel better knowing that I can provide warmth in the form of blankets, hats and scarves for people who may be in urgent need of them shortly.

If you're going to join the efforts, please feel free to use any of our free crochet patterns:

Helping Haiti's Victims of Hurricane Sandy

Cleveland.com is reporting the extent of the damage that Haiti suffered from Hurricane Sandy. It's upsetting to think that Haiti has been hit with yet another natural disaster so soon after the January 12, 2010 earthquake that caused such devastation.

After the 2010 earthquake, crocheters, knitters and crafters stepped in with handmade blankets to offer the earthquake victims. One of the organizations our readers worked with at that time was Love a Child, a Christian ministry that already had an established presence in Haiti at the time the earthquake hit.

I just took a quick look at Love a Child's website, and it appears that they are again stepping in to help with disaster relief in the wake of Hurricane Sandy. So if y'all already have newly-made, never-used blankets and such on hand, this organization is one possible place you could consider sending them.

I collected a bunch of links that you might want to take a look at regarding this charity. It includes links to their website, their ratings with independent watchdog organizations such as Charity Navigator, and the like. Here's the link: Love a Child Charity Profile.

I'm off to scour the Internet for more information. I'm specifically looking for info about ways that crocheters can help -- by donating hand-crocheted items such as blankets, afghan squares, granny squares, scarves, hats, etc. If you know of any trustworthy and reputable organizations that accept such donations and effectively distribute them to people who need them, you are invited to post about them in the comments section below.

Comments

October 29, 2012 at 4:38 pm
(1) Dawn says:

These are great projects, Amy. As usual, you have wonderful ideas of how to help victims of Hurricane Sandy and others both here and in areas like Haiti. With cold weather coming, many blankets, hats, scarfs, and baby items will be needed. I hope to donate something, too, and will see what I have on hand to crochet with. Thanks!
~ Dawn ~

October 29, 2012 at 11:59 pm
(2) Lahle Wolfe says:

Your compassion and ideas are great. I featured them in my newsletter this week! Thanks for caring. I have family and friends living the worst parts of where Sandy is hitting even as I type.

November 2, 2012 at 12:09 pm
(3) Enmy Uribe says:

Hey me and my friends actually had a similar idea about crocheting scarves and hats for victims of Hurricane Sandy, we just dont know where we would send the donations to, any ideas?

November 4, 2012 at 11:53 am
(4) sfpollock says:

Does anyone know a specific charity I can donate afghans, blankets and quilts to victims of Hurricane Sandy?

November 5, 2012 at 5:44 am
(5) Amy Solovay - Crochet Guide says:

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

Enmy and Sfpollock, I found a couple of organizations you could consider sending items to. One is Love a Child in Haiti. The other is Coney Island Generation Gap. The contact info is included in my post above.

November 5, 2012 at 12:41 pm
(6) denise wheeler says:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! We have been trying to find a place where we can ship a load of new blankets that my son’s school is collecting and the grassroots center in Brooklyn is perfect. So thank you again for such great information. It really helped us a lot!!

November 5, 2012 at 5:23 pm
(7) Tammy says:

Thanks for the info on Coney Island Generation Gap. I’ve been looking for a place to send stuff but was concerned that some of the organizations might be too far from the people who really need the help.I’m breaking out the hat loom and chunky yarn!

November 7, 2012 at 1:37 pm
(8) Janet says:

I was wondering where do I mail the afghans I make for the ones that need it? Could you give me the address please?

Thank you!
Janet

November 7, 2012 at 2:20 pm
(9) G. McC. in Texas says:

*Made longer comment earlier, but it hasn’t posted*

Copying /expanding from my post to Twitter; based on my own experience.

Crafters can do more by sending monetary gifts to #Sandy relief orgs.
Ex: American #RedCross can get THREE full-size blankets for $15, which is price of economical yarn for ONE baby blanket /lapghan.
(Former #RedCross staff member, checked relief-blanket cost with local Chapter).

Links on why monetary gifts are more effective and how to donate:

November 9, 2012 at 8:16 am
(10) Amy Solovay - Crochet Guide says:

G, thanks for the comments. I have no idea what happened to your other one, but if had links in it the About.com spam filter probably ate it. Sorry about that!

A couple of things.

1) Some people have lots of yarn on hand (or finished projects on hand) but no available cash on hand. (That’s me right now, in fact. I have two blankets I’m just finishing up that I can send but zero cash I can send.)

2) I have heard from several friends and colleagues in affected areas that the Red Cross has not appeared to help anywhere in their areas — they are nowhere.

In light of these two things, I’ posted the resources that I did. Of course, I’m sure everyone here knows where to find the Red Cross to donate and I’m sure that those who can donate to them have done so or will soon.

Thanks again for the comment; I really appreciate it.

November 9, 2012 at 1:42 pm
(11) G. McC.in TX (NJ native) says:

Amy & all, please forgive following multiple comments. Trying to provide multiple links without running up against above-mentioned spam filter.

Another “donate handmade” effort for Hurr. Sandy relief in NYC:
http://www dot brettbara dot com/knitting/make-it-better-craftalong-for-sandy-relief/

November 9, 2012 at 1:48 pm
(12) G. McC in TX, transplanted from NJ says:

Please forgive following multiple comments. Trying to share links without running afoul of spam blocker.

Please copy /paste links and remove spaces.

Another “donate handmade” effort for Hurr. Sandy relief in NYC:

http:// www .brettbara .com/ knitting/ make-it-better-craftalong-for-sandy-relief /

November 9, 2012 at 1:49 pm
(13) G. McC says:

OK, that worked. I’ve invested time in this so here goes.

The United Way’s 2-1-1 information and referral service (phone and Internet) is up & running for the disaster areas::

November 9, 2012 at 1:52 pm
(14) G. McC. says:

Apologies for above duplication.

4 of 6(?)

National Donations Management Network™, AKA Aidmatrix Network has a map and drop-down menu that lead to individual states’ portals:

November 9, 2012 at 1:55 pm
(15) G. McC. says:

5 of 6(?)

Through NDMN’s NYC and NJ portals, I found lists of agencies accepting material donations (blankets, coats, diapers, etc.).

http: //www .nyc .gov /html /stuffex /html /home /home .shtml

http: //www .jerseycares .org /servlet /servlet .FileDownload ?file =015A0000002PPrH

November 9, 2012 at 2:11 pm
(16) G. McC. says:

6 of 6 (or 7?)

Would Amy’s other readers please donate their time to research material-donations acceptance, via the NMDN portals, for other affected states?

Here’s where to calculate USPS parcel rates online:
https: //www .usps .com /ship /ship-a-package.htm

Since I have no finished projects available and am woefully behind on my WIPs and UFOs, I will make a small monetary donation to Coney Island Generation Gap.

My home neighborhood in NJ is still without power, going on 11 days now. Will also look for an organization in that area and direct a donation there.

Off-topic: I can make educated guesses about why the American Red Cross, Salvation Army, and other disaster-relief agencies are not -visibly- present in all areas–but only if Amy wants me to. :-)

November 9, 2012 at 4:54 pm
(17) G. McC says:
November 9, 2012 at 6:18 pm
(18) G. McC. says:

See Bev’s Country Cottage for more entities accepting handmades:

(Courtesy of Lion Brand Notebook blog)