1. Home

Amy Solovay

Is It Possible to Cut Out a Mistake in Crochet?

By November 14, 2012

Bonnie, says:

I am making a scarf of 3 interlocking colors. The first 5 or 6 inches were done incorrectly. How can I cut this part off?

I'm going to open the floor for comments on this. Has anyone successfully worked through a problem like this without just unraveling the whole thing and starting over? If so, we'd love to hear how you did it. And even if you haven't actually done so, all suggestions and ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance to everyone who contributes.

Comments

November 19, 2012 at 5:32 pm
(1) Heather says:

I have successfully unwound the first part of a project before. I undid the slipknot, and slowly undid the part I wasn’t happy with. This allowed me to tie it off where needed. And I then cut & hid the loose ends by weaving them in. Hope this helps you.

November 19, 2012 at 5:33 pm
(2) Shelley says:

If it is at the very beginning, you can still unravel it, not quite as easy as unraveling from the point you are working on, but still quite possible.

If it is in the middle somewhere, I have cut a crocheted item and stitched it together with a sewing machine, but it was in the side seams of a top and therefore a bit easier to disguise. I have to be extremely careful when I wash it because I worry about it still raveling. Good LUCK!!

November 19, 2012 at 6:08 pm
(3) Lydia says:

I normally rip everything and start over having had no luck in unraveling a bottom end and it look right. If I’m too far in, I finish the project the wrong way to match the end. Gives it a more unique look.

November 19, 2012 at 6:48 pm
(4) ronni says:

The previous replies are all great and I hope one works for you. My suggestion is to do something that you can live with. By that I mean, if it’s always going to bug you, rippit. If you feel confident enough to go to all of the trouble of undoing from the start, go for it. And finally, it’s a scarf — it doesn’t have to be perfect. You can finds ways to disguise the mistake.

November 19, 2012 at 7:10 pm
(5) Pat K says:

Another idea is to make this the middle of the scarf and start again going in the other direction. That way, when worn, it will be in the back. LOL. Lots of patterns have to be worked from center out anyway.

November 19, 2012 at 10:45 pm
(6) Pearl says:

Presuming the incorrect stitches are visually acceptable, you can incorporate the mistake as part of the pattern, i.e. alternating those stitches with the correct ones at even (or uneven) intervals throughout the scarf. If you’ve discovered the error after most of the scarf is finished, you could end with the incorrect stitches for the last 6 inches. When you are done, the “mistake” would appear as stripes.