1. Home

Amy Solovay

Share Your Tips for Finishing Crochet Projects Quickly

By February 23, 2014

A couple of weeks ago, I was hanging out with a group of crocheters and knitters in my area, and I overheard a conversation that I couldn't resist joining in on.

A new crocheter, in frustration, wanted to know, "Why is this hat taking so long to crochet? Shouldn't I be finished by now?

"Crochet takes time," one of the other ladies told her.

While I couldn't disagree with that, I also couldn't resist taking a peek over her shoulder to see what she was doing. I looked at her hook, her yarn and her hat, and it quickly became obvious to me that there was at least one simple thing she could do to speed up her progress.

I told her, "Your hook is too small for the yarn you are using. You are using a bulky weight yarn. In the future, with that weight of yarn, you'll want to try a bigger hook. That will hopefully speed your work up quite a bit."

This is one of the easiest ways I know of to make a crochet project go a little quicker. I shared a few other suggestions with her and the group, and I'm happy to share them with y'all as well. If this is a topic that interests you, I invite you to check out this page:

7 Reasons Your Crochet Project Is Taking So Long

I'm sure there are plenty of other things that should be added to this list, so if you have other tips and ideas to share, we'd be delighted to read them. Please leave a comment in the comments area below. Your input is very much appreciated! Thanks in advance to everyone who contributes.

Comments

February 24, 2014 at 9:12 pm
(1) Pearl says:

The yarn itself can slow you down, especially the kind that has fine hairs. In addition, some pull skeins form knots as you pull the yarn out. The combination of fuzzy yarn in a pull skein is guaranteed to slow you down!

February 24, 2014 at 10:31 pm
(2) Marie says:

For fuzzy yarn such as Lion Brand Homespun I find it best to wind the yarn from the outside end ) into a ball (even though it takes time it is worth it.

February 24, 2014 at 11:49 pm
(3) Beth says:

I once saw an interview with LIly Chin (she was once the fastest crocheter in the world) and she said she greased up her crochet hook with hand lotion. She also kept and emery board handy to file down any spurs or nicks in her hook. And she also used it to file down any rough spots on her fingers that would snag the yarn and slow her down. It also helps to re-roll your yarn into very loose pull skeins.

February 25, 2014 at 12:01 am
(4) CECI FLORES says:

I have several suggestions to possibly help speed up your crochet project.
1) have GOOD lighting and a comfortable chair;
2) “TRY” to keep distractions to a minimum—I have 3 dogs who I love a lot, but they like to sit in my lap, and this slows down my work;
3) If the printing on the pattern is TOO small, recopy it larger (even if you have to cut it into pieces and tape/glue it on to another sheet of paper. Granted this is not a time saver, but I do not consider this “time” spent on a project. This is preparation work;
4) If the pattern is intricate in detail, maybe taking the time to “write out” in either long-hand or typing it out, line by line in the long run might help when you are working on the item.
Hope that these suggestions help others.

February 25, 2014 at 12:31 am
(5) Helena says:

I actually work faster with distractions. I used to crochet in accounting classes, which drove the professors crazy, but I found I not only retained information from the class but did faster more accurate crochet. Didn’t work with knitting but I could turn out crochet like crazy. This works well with repetitious patterns and motifs.

February 25, 2014 at 12:17 pm
(6) rita mercer says:

when you find projects boring or too time consuming just make a committment of 15 minutes a day or at a time. i keep pattern, hook and project together and convenient at all times so that I can pick it up to work on it or grab it to go. And I always make yo-yos and small motifs of every yarn I use and keep them sorted by size, yarn weight, etc so when I come across a pattern or project needing those or I have to do a quick project for some one they are always on hand.

February 25, 2014 at 1:27 pm
(7) Amy Solovay says:

These are excellent suggestions, everyone. Thanks so much for all the great tips!

February 25, 2014 at 2:11 pm
(8) Roz Walters says:

Since when was it a race to see who could crochet the fastest? I crochet for pleasure, I also cross stitch, knit, do parchment crafting, and make paper crafted cards. None of these are for instant gratification, all take time, time I am more than happy to spend. If you don’t enjoy the creative process, then why bother doing it.

February 25, 2014 at 2:21 pm
(9) Claire says:

I read the label on the yarn for the suggested size hook. If I am trying a new stitch I make a small swatch and see. If I like it. The swatch lets me know if it will be time consuming for me. I also can tell if I like the stitch and yarn color. I love the fuzzy yarns, but if I am using a G or H hook I can not see the chain clearly. Fuzzy yarns will stick to itself and can be hard to rip out! So if you use a lot and change your mind, you may find yourself in a bind. I had to throw away yarn that would not untangle. So I do a small swatch first. I do a little experimentation first before I commit to the pattern. If you save swatches like I do you can refer your swatches for future projects. I write down everything I used to make the swatch and attach the card to the swatch. I also note if it was easy or hard to do. What may be easy for one may be difficult for another. I also like to listen to relaxing music. :-) )))

March 2, 2014 at 6:32 am
(10) Laurie says:

I have to say that I agree with Roz Walters. I too do cross stitch and also sewing, quilting, macrame, glass etching, wood burning, and cement working. The only one where fast counts is the cement working, (you have to get your patterns done before it sets up). That said, there are times when you want it to go faster. If you have a time limit for a gift, or maybe just a lot of gifts to finish like for Christmas. It may sound strange, but I do my fastest crocheting when I’m watching TV. Especially re-runs. Of course this won”t work with a really intricate pattern.