If you would like to crochet an afghan made up of afghan squares, this page of free patterns is just what you need.
These free crocheted afghan square patterns are organized by size. Keep in mind that the sizes listed are somewhat flexible; in most cases you can add outside rounds to make the squares slightly larger, or adjust your hook size / yarn size to get different results.
Three Inch Afghan Square
- Criss Cross Granny Square -- This unusual granny square features a wide open crossed design in the center.
Four Inch Afghan Square
Five Inch Afghan Square
- Summer Bedspread Granny Square -- This granny square is lighter and more delicate than most others, making it a great choice for a summer bedspread. Of course, there are plenty of other ways you could use it.
Six Inch Afghan Squares
- Striped Checkerboard Baby Afghan Square -- There are several different pages you might like to take a look at if you want to crochet this square. First of all, there are some lovely patchwork afghans you can make using this design. There are also many different colorways I've created for this design. Feel free to vary the colors in other ways if you have ideas you'd like to try.
- Striped Heart Baby Afghan Square -- This heart square coordinates with the striped checkerboard square linked above, but you could also use it on its own if you'd prefer. If you like this pattern, be sure to check out more heart square colorways in the image gallery.
- Mix and Match Afghan Squares -- This is an ongoing series of afghan squares featuring various design patterns worked in tapestry crochet. So far the series features diagonal stripes, nested squares, Mini checkerboards and many others. You can see a list featuring pictures of each design plus links to all the free patterns and charts on this page.
- Double Rainbow Square -- This colorful crocheted square features a rainbow of colors. You can use it as an afghan square, a dishcloth, or washcloth.
Seven Inch Afghan Squares
Eight Inch Afghan Squares
Ten Inch Afghan Squares
- Checkerboard Afghan Square -- I crocheted my sample afghan squares using baby yarn and am planning to use them to make a boy's baby afghan. The squares crocheted using baby yarn measure about 10.5".
Eleven Inch Afghan Squares
- Nested Checkerboards Baby Afghan Square -- This square is crocheted from a chart using three different shades of blue and white baby yarn. There are several different squares that coordinate with this design, plus several different diagrams you could use to create finished afghans using this square.