There are lots of fun reasons you might want to make a costume for your baby. For those of you who celebrate Halloween, Purim, or Easter, a homemade costume can add to the holiday fun. Homemade costumes look unique, and also help you avoid having the same exact costume as all the other little ones in the neighborhood.
Cat Baby Hat to Crochet
You could use this easy homemade hat as the basis little kittycat costume. There are lots of different things you could use for the body of the costume -- for example, cat (or mouse) printed PJs, or simply a cute set in colors that match your hat. (The little one can continue to wear this outfit even after the costume is no longer needed.) Add a little tail for maximum cuteness.
Cat Baby Hat to Knit
For those of you who enjoy knitting, Sarah White has posted another cat hat pattern you might enjoy; it's available over at the knitting.about.com website.
Grape Baby Hat
Doesn't this cute little hat spark some fun costume ideas? It sure does for me.
Do you have friends or family members with babies of similar ages? How about making several of these hats, so you can have a cluster of grapes?
For the body of the costume, I'm thinking you could dress the little one in a purple shirt or onesie, and you'd be all good to go. Bonus points if you make some purple baby booties too.
Anne Geddes-Inspired Baby Costumes
Red Heart has released several free patterns that utilize their Anne Geddes baby yarn. The designs resemble the costumes that you'd see in Anne Geddes' popular photographs. If you click through the following links, you'll be transported to the free patterns at the Redheart.com website:
- Baby Bee Costume -- Free Crochet Pattern Using Anne Geddes Yarn
- Baby Ladybug Costume -- Free Knitting Pattern Using Anne Geddes Yarn
- Baby Bear Costume -- Free Knitting Pattern Using Anne Geddes Yarn
- Santa Baby Suit -- Here's a playful knitting pattern for making a costume that'll transform baby into Santa Claus (Never mind that Santa's supposed to be an old bearded guy, and there's no beard included with this set.)
- Gingerbread man baby set -- A free Christmas-themed crochet pattern for transforming baby into a cute gingerbread man (or gingerbread girl.)
Transform your little one into a cute pumpkin for either fall or Halloween. The hat is the focal point of the costume, but you could also dress baby up in a cute orange shirt or onesie, or a fall/Halloween print, for maximum effect.
This free knitting pattern was designed by Sarah E. White. It is posted at the knitting.about.com website.
Baby Bunny Costumes for Easter, Halloween or Purim
The main ingredients for a bunny costume: bunny ears and a fluffy little tail. Here you have bunches of ideas for how to do the ears:
- Bunny hat posted at the Red Heart website
- Floppy bunny hat pattern
- Baby bunny hat pattern
- Gender-neutral baby bunny hat
For the tail, how about a big fluffy pompom?