Book Title: Noggins & Necks: 10 Crochet Designs
Author: Bonnie Barker
Publisher: Leisure Arts
Book Copyright Date: 2010
Format: Softcover With Staple Binding
Number of Pages: 20, not including the covers
Cover Price: $9.95 US dollars
Skill Level: Easy
This book gives you ten different patterns for crocheting matching sets of ladies' hats and scarves. You get five hat patterns and five matching scarf patterns.
These patterns are all similar in that they're all highly textured designs made with medium-weight yarn. In most locations where the weather gets cold, the designs are suitable for wearing in the fall and winter; in some locations they'll be suitable for wearing on chilly days in the spring as well.
Crochet Patterns Included in This Pattern Book
- Basket Weave Hat and Scarf Set -- This set features front post and back post double crochet stitches arranged in a basket weave type configuration.
- Woven Stitch Hat and Scarf Set -- This set features a lovely textured, aran-style look made from treble crochets plus a special stitch called "woven stitch."
- Two Stitch Hat and Scarf Set -- Alternating single crochets and double crochets form the textured pattern used to crochet this set.
- Fisherman Hat and Scarf Set -- This innovative, interesting set is crocheted using popcorns and cables. The pattern instructions include several diagrams which show you in detail how to work the cables.
- Braided Hat and Scarf Set -- This set combines textured stitches, including popcorns and post stitches, to give you another aran-style duo. The hat for this set reminds me a bit of a helmet; unlike the others in the book, I'm not so sure I like it. Your mileage may vary.
These hats are all designed to fit a head measuring 21 inches in circumference. If your head is a significantly different size, you might need to adjust the patterns, but you'll be on your own as far as figuring out how to do that.
- These are all practical patterns; if you follow the instructions and use suitable yarn, you can expect that your finished projects will be suitable for cold-weather wear.
- These patterns are all classic, traditional designs; they're all stylish, but none of them are overly trendy, which means that you'll be able to enjoy them for years to come.
- Despite the "easy" label, they all look as if they'd be pretty interesting projects to crochet.
- The photography and styling are well done; they show off the projects realistically and in an appealing way.
- There isn't much variety in the designs presented; the patterns are pretty similar.
- As mentioned, one hat design reminds me of a helmet.
If you'd be interested in checking current pricing and availability on copies of this book, please be sure to click the "compare prices" button below. That link will take you to a price comparison search engine where you'll find information about where to buy the book.