Free heart patterns are fun to have on hand for Valentine's Day, anniversaries, birthdays and other special occasions. You can use them to make gifts for friends and loved ones, or you can crochet lovely heart projects for your own celebrations.
This list features a fantastic variety of heart patterns for crochet.
You could think of this crocheted heart shape as more of a "building block" than a finished project. There are so many ways you could use it.
- View a large photo, and more project details.
- See the chart for crocheting rows 1-8 of the heart motif,
- And the chart for crocheting the rest of the heart.
- Visit an image gallery featuring ideas for how to decorate this crocheted heart.
- Share ideas for using this heart shape in various craft projects.
If you need an idea for using the heart shape linked above, here's one of my favorites: it's a pretty zippered heart-shaped pouch. You could fill it with sweet treats or a small gift for someone special; or you could keep it for yourself if you prefer. I'm using mine to hold love notes and small Valentine cards, but I think I'll work on making a few more to give to friends.
Crochet Heart Squares With Borders
All three of these crocheted heart squares coordinate with my series of mix and match afghan squares. You can use these squares together with other squares in the series if you like.
- See a larger photo of the three-color heart square
- Get the free heart chart
- The free patterns for the two-color versions are coming soon; I have not had a chance to post them yet. Please sign up for my free crochet newsletter to be notified when they are available. Newsletter subscribers receive weekly emails featuring links to all the new free crochet patterns, tutorials and articles on our website -- which means that subscribers never miss out on seeing what's new!
I've created a multi-purpose striped heart chart that you can use in a variety of different ways. Pictured at left are a few ideas.
This cute baby afghan square was made using acrylic baby yarns in pastel colors. I've created some other coordinating squares to go along with this one; use them to make a unique multicolored baby afghan.
- Click here to find the free crochet pattern
- See more color ideas for this design
- Find the coordinating checkerboard pattern
Cheerful striped heart potholders could be a fun addition to any style of kitchen decor. These potholders are an interesting crochet project; frequent color changes create an intriguing optical illusion as you work. You'll create the striped heart design using the tapestry crochet technique.
I decided to try working the striped heart design in a circle shape instead of a square. My original plan was to use it for making felted coasters; I think the design could be used for that purpose, but my first attempt at making them turned out too big. Conclusion: for ordinary-sized coasters, you'd have to use yarn that's finer than worsted weight.
Coasters aren't the only project you could use this design for making. If you need to crochet a circle to include in other types of projects you might want to make, this is one you could consider using. You can click here to get the free circle heart chart.
See Also: Free crochet coaster patterns
This is one example of a baby blanket you could make with the striped heart square linked above.
Here's another example of a baby afghan you can make using striped heart squares.
This beaded heart shape makes a pretty applique, but has many possible creative uses.