I spend many hours each week answering our visitors' questions about crochet. This page is a resource you can use for locating the answers to questions that have already been answered; the answers are all posted somewhere on our website, and they are linked below so you can hopefully find them easily.
If you have a question that hasn't already been answered here, you are invited to post your question in the crochet forum.
How Do I...?
- How do I get started with crochet?
Answer: We'll help you! Check out this page: How to crochet. See also: free crochet videos.
- I'm left handed. How do I crochet with my left hand?
Answer: Check out the following resources for help:
Readers share tips and advice for crocheting left handed.
- How do I crochet the chain stitch?
Answer: Check out this chain stitch tutorial for step-by-step instructions.
- How do I crochet the slip stitch?
Answer: See our slip stitch instructions.
- How do I do the single crochet stitch?
Answer: Our single crochet tutorial shows you how.
- How do I do the half double crochet stitch?
Answer: Check out our half double crochet tutorial to learn this stitch.
- How do I do the double crochet stitch?
Answer: Take a look at our double crochet tutorial to learn how.
- How do I do the treble crochet stitch?
Answer: Check out this page on how to do treble crochet.
- How do I change colors in crochet?
Answer: This tutorial shows you how to change colors in single crochet stitch. You can use the same steps to change colors in any other basic crochet stitch.
- How do I crochet two colors in the same row?
Answer: Tapestry crochet is one technique you can use for doing this. See our tapestry crochet tutorial for more info and step-by-step instructions.
- How do I crochet a scarf?
Answer: how to crochet a scarf
- How do I crochet a blanket?
Answer: how to crochet a blanket
- How do I crochet a granny square?
Answer: Check out this granny square tutorial to learn how to crochet a basic granny square.
- How do I crochet a dishcloth (or washcloth)?
Answer: See how to crochet dishcloths and washcloths.
- How do I crochet a shawl?
Answer: Check out this easy shawl tutorial for one possible way of doing it.
- How do I crochet a baby hat?
Answer: This page details just about everything you'd ever need to know about crocheting baby hats.
- How do I put blocks or squares together?
Answer: Check out these methods for joining granny squares and other crocheted pieces.
- How do I attach an applique to my craft project?
Answer: See how to attach appliques.
- Is it possible to knit with a crochet hook?
Answer: See How to knit with a crochet hook.
- How do I prevent blisters when crocheting?
Answer: Click here for some info about blister prevention.
- How do I trim a sweatshirt to make it into a jacket?
Answer: Check this page for some ideas.
- How do I access the free crochet patterns linked from your newsletter?
If you have questions, need help, or what to show us what you've been working on, you are invited to visit the crochet forum.
- What is the difference between knitting and crocheting?
Answer: Click here for a summary of the main differences.
- What is freeform crochet?
Click here for an overview of freeform crochet.
- What is Tunisian crochet?
Click here for an introduction to Tunisian crochet.
- What is a tapestry needle, and why do you need one for crocheting?
Click here for information about tapestry needles.
- What is "Knooking"? What is a "Knook"?
Click here for info about Knooking.
- What is a chemo cap?
Answer: Click here for the definition of a chemo cap.
- What is coned yarn?
Answer: Click here to find the meaning of the phrase "coned yarn."
- What is the correct hook size for crocheting a rag rug?
Do You Have a Free Crochet Pattern For...?
- Do you have any free patterns for afghans?
Answer: Of course we do! Check out these free crochet afghan patterns.
- How about baby blankets and baby afghans?
Answer: Please take a look at our free crochet baby blanket patterns.
- Do you have any free granny square patterns?
Answer: This page features free granny square patterns. You can also find another page of free granny square project ideas.
- Where can I get free hat patterns?
Answer: Right here on our website! Click here to see our free hat patterns.
- Where can I get free scarf patterns?
Answer: Click here to see our free crochet scarf patterns.
- Where can I find free dishcloth patterns?
Answer: We've posted a whole bunch of free dishcloth patterns for you to use.
- Where can I get free washcloth patterns?
Answer: Click here for a variety of free washcloth patterns.
- I'm looking for a head wrap pattern. Do you have one?
Answer: Yes! Try this page for some suggestions.
- Where can I find crochet patterns for baby shoes?
Answer: Click here for links.
- Do you have any free crochet patterns for milk jug covers?
Answer: We don't have any posted on our website, but I made a list of links to milk jug cover patterns that you can find on other websites.
- Do you have any flower patterns suitable for boys?
Answer: Click here to see my suggestions.
- I have scrap yarn that I want to make something small with...do you have free patterns for this?
Answer: I originally answered a more specific and detailed version of this question in a blog post. Since then, I've also compiled a list of free scrap yarn patterns; additionally, Andrea Lyn Van Benschoten has contributed a list of ideas for using leftover yarn. I hope these resources will be of interest!
- I'm looking for another type of pattern that isn't listed here. Do you have it?
Answer: probably. Check this page: free crochet patterns to see all the different types of patterns we offer.
If it's a knitting pattern you're looking for, try this page: free knitting patterns
- Back in 1976, my Grandma crocheted me a hot pink and green fuzzy toilet paper cozy. It finally wore out, and I want to crochet another one. Do you know where I can get the original pattern for that?
Answer: No, I don't. Sorry! But I bet one of our forum members knows where to find it. For inquiries of this nature, please try asking in our crochet forum; I'm amazed at how often our members are actually able to help each other dig up seemingly obscure long-lost patterns from the past.
Questions About Charts and Charted Patterns
Questions About Crochet Books
- What crochet books do you recommend?
Answer: Check this page of crochet books to see a list of the books we've reviewed on our website.
- Can I buy these books from you?
Answer: No, sorry, we don't sell any books. We make all our resources available for free! (See also: free crochet stuff.) However, when we write reviews, we do our best to link you up to places where you can buy the books. If you want to shop for any of the books we've reviewed, be sure to look for the little buttons that say "compare prices" on the page that features the review of the book you are interested in.
- What are the best books for learning how to crochet left-handed?
One of our left-handed readers, Shazzade, has made several helpful suggestions. Click here to see her suggestions for left-handed crochet instruction books.
- I'm a total beginner. I don't know anything about crochet. What yarn should I buy?
Answer: See these yarn recommendations for beginners.
- What yarn should I use for crocheting potholders?
Answer: Click here for my suggestions.
- What does "worsted weight yarn" mean?
Answer: Click here for the glossary definition of worsted weight yarn."
Questions About Crochet Hooks, Tools and Supplies
Questions About How to Fix Something That Went Wrong
Sometimes your crochet projects just don't turn out like you expect. When that happens, naturally, you want to know what went wrong. If you are having a hard time figuring out how to fix the problem(s), there are several things you can do.
For starters, investigate the questions and answers listed below. Perhaps we already have an answer for you. If you can't find the answer to your specific question, you might want to post about your issue in the crochet forum to see if we can help you figure out a solution.
- I am crocheting from a graph, and my stitches look jagged and awful. Is there a fix for this?
Answer: See this page for the answer.
- I crocheted my first flower, but it looks so plain and boring. How do I liven it up a little?
Answer: See how to embellish crocheted flowers for lots of different ideas.
- Please help! My yarn is from two different dye lots. What do I do?
Answer: There's an easy fix for this. See this page for details.
Miscellaneous Crochet Questions
- Is crochet the right hobby for me? How will I know if it is or isn't?
Answer: why not jump in, give it a try, and then trust your instincts from there?
I've written an article with additional insights that you might find helpful. See this page: Is crochet the right craft for you?
- Does About.com offer crocheting classes?