Crochet Hooks, Yarn, Thread, Fiber and More
By Amy Solovay, About.com Guide
Learn about crochet hooks plus yarn, fiber and other materials that can be used for crocheting. Get inspiration for keeping all your crochet supplies organized.
- Crochet Books and Patterns
- Organizing Your Crochet Supplies
- Other Miscellaneous Crochet Supplies
- Get the Latest News About Crochet Patterns, Supplies and More
Get the lowdown on crochet hooks. Here's a collection of resources that will inform you about them and help you determine which ones you'll need for your latest projects.
- Learn About a Variety of Different Crochet Hooks
- Readers' Favorite Crochet Hooks
- Lessons Learned From My Favorite Crochet Hook
- Ergonomic Crochet Hooks
- Bamboo Crochet Hooks
- ChiaoGoo Bamboo Crochet Hook -- Product Review
- Clover Takumi Bamboo Crochet Hook -- Product Review
- What Is a Crochet Needle?
- How to Hold a Crochet Hook
Learn about yarns used for crocheting. You'll find product reviews and more information that will help you evaluate yarn.
- Crochet Yarn -- Articles, Tips and Reviews for Crochet Enthusiasts
- Which Yarn Should a Total Beginner Buy?
- Acrylic Yarn
- Kitchen Cotton Yarn
- Crocheting With Cotton Yarn
- Advantages of Crocheting With Coned Yarn
- Fun Fur Yarn by Lion Brand
- Fancy Fur Yarn by Lion Brand
- Red Heart Comfort Yarn
- Red Heart Super Saver Yarn
- Simply Cotton Worsted Yarn by Knitpicks
- What Is Self-Striping Yarn?
- What Is Worsted Weight Yarn?
- Lion Brand Baby's First Yarn -- Product Review
- Choose the Best Yarn for Baby Hats
Crochet thread is lovely for use in fine crochet projects such as doilies, tablecloths, table linens, bedspreads, and bed linens. It works well for crocheting borders and edgings on just about anything -- clothing or home decor items.
Crocheting With Innovative Materials
People crochet with all kinds of things -- including plastic bags, wire, raffia, and strips of cut-up fabric. If you give it some thought, I bet you could come up with other interesting materials to use. I once crocheted a top out of speaker wire.
- Crocheting Without Yarn
- Crocheting With Stripz Pre-Cut Fabric Strips
- Wire Crochet Jewelry
- Learn About Plastic Yarn, AKA Plarn
- How to Make Plarn Using Small Plastic Produce Bags
- Learn Several Different Ways to Make Plarn
- Dollar Store Crafts and Craft Supplies
Crochet Books and Patterns
We offer a wealth of free crochet patterns here at About Crochet, and you are invited to make good use of them. However, if you stick to only using free patterns, you'd miss out on many amazing designs.
We hope you will find these reviews helpful for evaluating some of the crochet publications that are available.
- Crochet Books -- Stitch Dictionaries, Pattern Books (Page Includes Photos)
- Best of Interweave Crochet Book
- The Crochet Closet by Lisa Gentry
- Crochet Wear Book by Ann Regis
- The Beaded Edge Book by Midori Nishida and CRK Design
- DIY Afghans Book and CD by Mary Beth Temple
- Gifted: Lovely Little Things to Knit and Crochet by Mags Kandis
- Best Books for Learning How to Crochet Left-Handed
- Noggins and Necks Book
- Triple Play Pattern Stitches Book by Darla Sims
- Crochet Patterns -- Free From About.com!
Organizing Your Crochet Supplies
OK, you've got supplies. Now you need to figure out how to keep them all organized. Need some storage and organization ideas? We've got you covered.
- Organizing Your Stash of Yarn and Crochet Thread
- Dexas Trifolio Clipboard Organizer -- Product Review
Other Miscellaneous Crochet Supplies
These supplies don't fit neatly into any of the categories above.
- Tapestry Needles
- Free Printable Graph Paper to Download -- for Crochet and Knitting
- The Knook Beginner Set by Leisure Arts -- Knitting With a Crochet Hook
- Darice 11/0 Jewelry Designer Metallic Seed Beads -- Product Review
Get the Latest News About Crochet Patterns, Supplies and More
You're invited to subscribe to About.com's crochet newsletter. If you subscribe, you'll receive weekly updates by email, featuring free crochet patterns, tutorials, interesting stitches, and crochet-related product reviews.
The best part -- the crochet newsletter is FREE With no strings attached!
We hope you'll enjoy the newsletter, but in the unlikely event that you don't, it is easy to unsubscribe at any time.