Variegated yarn is yarn that has variations throughout. The word “variegated” shares the same root as the words “variety” and “varied.” The term “variegated,” when used to describe yarn, typically indicates that color variations are present throughout the entire skein or hank of the yarn.
Also Known As:
Variegated is a term that can describe several different types of color variations in yarn:
- Ombre yarn
- Space-dyed yarn
- Dip-dyed yarn
- Kettle-dyed yarn
- Self-striping yarn
- Striated yarn
- Heathered yarn
- Tweed yarn
Common Misspelling: Vareigated yarn
Example of This Phrase Used in a Sentence: Sometimes variegated yarn produces unexpected effects such as color flashing and color pooling.
More About Crocheting With Variegated Yarn
- 4 Secrets for Success With Variegated Yarn
- 5 Ways to Combine Variegated Yarn
- What Is Color Flashing?
- Variegated Earthtone Dishcloth - Free Crochet Pattern
Find More From This Author
- Meet Amy Solovay, Author and Crochet Pattern Designer for About.com
- Find Free Crochet Patterns by Amy Solovay
- Connect With Amy on Ravelry