Are your crocheted flowers looking a little plain? Embellish them! Find free ideas for embellishing crocheted flowers using buttons, ribbon, pinbacks, scrapbooking supplies, and other items.
Button Centers for Flowers
It's a no-brainer to use buttons for the centers of your crocheted flowers. This is an especially nice idea if you have a stash of oddball buttons that don't go with anything and don't have mates.
- I used a fancy flower-shaped button as the center on my easy layered crochet rose.
- My frost flower also features a floral button in the center.
- A fancy cutwork button is the focal point of this pink and tan crocheted flower.
- Erica Jackofsky used a gorgeous floral button accent on her 3d crochet flower.
Pins and pinbacks make intriguing embellishments for crocheted flowers. They come in a wide variety of themes and colors, so you'll never be at a loss for interesting designs to use.
As far as embellishments go, it doesn't get much easier than pinbacks. You don't have to figure out how to adhere them to the flower, and no sewing is required. You can just stick the pin to the flower; it's as simple as that.
The photo at left shows a variety of different crocheted flowers with pinback centers.
Embellishing Flowers With Ribbon
It's so easy to tie a ribbon bow and then stitch it onto your crocheted flowers. If you have a flower that looks a little bare, it's a good candidate for this idea.
Embellishing Crocheted Flowers With Scrapbooking Supplies
There might be times when you'd like to indulge in a little mixed media. It's fun to combine scrapbooking supplies with crochet. I often use my crocheted flowers (and other crochet motifs) in my scrapbook albums; they make delightful accents on mini album covers and in various other paper craft projects.
- See the abstract flower motif embellished with scrapbooking supplies; you may also want to see the free crochet tutorial for that flower.
- Check out a crocheted flower necklace embellished with scrapbooking supplies; you might also want to take a look through the entire flower necklace tutorial.
- See even more examples of the flower necklace in different colors.
Note: Scrapbooking supplies aren't generally washable, so if that's an important consideration for you, use caution.