Perhaps one (or a group of) of your friends, family members, colleagues or acquaintances is moving. How exciting! Want to make a special housewarming gift to celebrate the occasion, and the new place? If so, these housewarming gift ideas are just what you need. These ideas are suitable for families, couples, women, and men. There's something on the list for everyone.
When you look through this list, keep in mind that housewarming gifts are not supposed to be large, extravagant or expensive. Housewarming gifts are typically small items. However, you can make them extra special, especially since you are taking the time to make something from scratch, with the gift recipient/s (and his / her / their tastes) in mind.
When you choose which gift to make, my thinking is that it's best to aim for something nice that will make the new place seem a lot "homier" and comfortable. Again, this doesn't translate to "expensive." Most of these gift ideas are affordable to make, and they're beautiful and useful too.
When it comes to decorating and home accessorizing, a new apartment, flat, condo or house always has so much potential. It's a little like a blank canvas. What fun, transforming it into a home!
However, it isn't a good idea for you to make any major decorating decisions on behalf of the place's new occupant/s (unless, of course, they have asked you to help with the interior design. Then it's different.) Unless you are very familiar with the recipients' taste, it's a good idea to focus on giving things that are easily changeable, or at least easy to move, rather than things that would become a permanent part of the home décor.
The kitchen offers you infinite opportunities to create unique, creative personalized gifts of the impermanent, easily-changeable variety.
If you already know what colors your gift recipients are using in their kitchen decor, it's easy to choose your yarns accordingly. If the family you're crocheting for has a favorite sports team, you could make a set of potholders and dishcloths in their team's colors. If you aren't sure what colors to use, basic colors such as white, cream, khaki, sage green or navy blue are always appropriate. Of course, it would also be fun to choose more vibrant colors, seeing that these items can easily be tucked in a drawer or linen closet; they do not need to compete with the everyday décor.
See Also: Kitchen Gift Sets
Housewarming Gift Baskets
There are so many different ways to approach gift baskets that it would be hard to list them all. In every case, one thing you'll definitely need is the basket to put everything in. Sturdy crocheted baskets are lovely for this purpose. They're re-usable, refillable, and (usually) washable, guaranteeing that the recipient can enjoy using the basket -- probably for longer than the gift itself will be around (depending what's in the basket.)
Be sure to load up on free basket patterns; we've posted links to bunches of them here on our website.
A few housewarming-appropriate gift-basket ideas that come to mind:
- Bath Basket: Group pretty scented bath soaps, a fragrant shower gel, a bundle of crocheted washcloths, and maybe a bath puff. See Also: Bath Accessories.
- Coffee-Lover's Gift Basket: Group yummy coffees, teas, sugar packets and creamers into a pick-me-up basket that's sure to help with making the unpacking process go a little easier.
- Fruit Basket: Arrange a healthy assortment of fresh, tasty seasonal fruits -- apples, oranges, pears, peaches, nectarines, plums -- into a beautiful crocheted basket.
- Snack Basket: Fill up a gift basket with crackers, cheeses or other favorite snacks.
A Bottle of Champagne, Wine or Liqueur
This is only a good gift idea if the recipients are all of legal drinking age, and you know them well enough to know what they like to drink.
If you'd like to make this gift extra-special, you can crochet a bottle cozy that would be a lovely finishing touch to your gift presentation.
In some circumstances, afghans can make wonderful, heartfelt housewarming gifts.
Note that there are several instances when an afghan is not a good choice for a housewarming gift:
- If you don't have sufficient time to finish the afghan before the housewarming party, it's safer to choose a different gift. If you have your heart set on giving an afghan, you could begin the afghan, finish it at your convenience, and present it at a later gift-giving occasion (birthday, Christmas, etc.)
- I wouldn't recommend making an afghan for a boyfriend or girlfriend you haven't known long.
- I also wouldn't recommend making an afghan for anyone who couldn't be trusted to care for it well.