Use this free striped heart chart for creating crochet projects; the chart is also useful for other needlecrafts.
This chart is unique because the striped pattern creates an op art effect, or optical illusion. The effect is more noticeable with certain color combinations than others, and you can have a lot of fun re-coloring this design in different ways.Overall, it's a fun crochet pattern, and its likely to hold your interest the whole time you are crocheting it.
Ideas for Using This Chart
There are many possible ways you could use this chart. A couple of ideas:
- Crochet the chart in kitchen cotton yarn and use it to make potholders. I've published a free potholder pattern using this charted design.
- Use the chart to create afghan squares; wool or acrylic would work well for this. I've created a baby afghan square pattern using this chart. So far, I've published several baby afghans you can crochet using this chart plus a coordinating striped checkerboard chart. See pictures of the finished heart sampler patchwork-style baby afghan, and the coral hearts baby afghan. This heart design could also be used for larger afghans. The afghan you create from these squares will be dense and warm -- great for charity crochet or for gifts to friends and family.
Color Ideas: I've crocheted a whole bunch of different colorways of this afghan square.
Learn More About Op Art
- Shelley Esaak, your Guide to art history, wrote an overview of the op art movement. If you're clueless about op art and what it is, Shelley's article is a great starting point for learning the basics.
- If you'd be interested in learning how to paint op art, perhaps you'd enjoy this op art tutorial and this printable op art worksheet by Marion Boddy-Evans, your Guide to painting.
- Gráfico de Ganchillo Gratis
- Tejidos a Crochet
- Crochet Patrones