Feeling creative? Want to make your own Christmas tree ornaments? If so, you've come to the right place. You'll find plenty of free patterns and instructions for making handmade ornaments in a variety of different craft techniques -- crochet, cross stitch, and others!
These ornament covers are so fast and easy that you could whip up a bunch of them in a hurry for gifts, ornament swaps, and decorating your own Christmas tree.
The ornament cover and free crochet pattern were designed by Liz Masoner.
This beaded snowflake makes a fantastic Christmas ornament. Because this ornament is crocheted onto a foundation of wire, it holds its shape on its own; you don't need to hassle with starching or glue to stiffen it.
In order to use this snowflake as a Christmas tree ornament, you will need one item that's not included on the materials list: a wire ornament hanger.
The snowflake and free crochet pattern were designed by Amy Solovay.
More Free Snowflake Patterns: We've posted a wide variety of beautiful crochet patterns for snowflakes -- snowflake appliques, snowflake coasters, a snowflake trivet and more.
This funny little reindeer ornament might make your loved ones giggle with glee this holiday season, especially if your Christmas celebration includes any children.
The ornament and free crochet pattern were designed by Sandi Marshall.
Are there any bird lovers on your gift list? If so, this cardinal ornament is a great gift idea. There are a mind-boggling number of different ways you could make the ornament:
- Crochet it using the charted design, which is available for free on our website.
- Cross stitch it onto a crocheted background.
- Cross stitch it onto aida fabric.
- Craft it using other needlework techniques -- needlepoint, beadwork etc.
- The chart can also be used for making larger items like pillows and afghans if you like.
This pattern design is by Sandi Marshall.
This little cat got the urge to dress up as a snowman. How cute is that?
There are many different ways you could use this design; it could be a Christmas tree ornament, pillow, afghan square, or wall hanging (among other things; feel free to use your creativity.)
The pattern design is by Sandi Marshall, and the free chart and project instructions are available right here on our website.
And here's one more cat playing dress-up; this one has decided he will play the role of Santa Claus.
Free Instructions and Ideas for Crafting More Handmade Christmas Ornaments
Here are more ideas for making handmade Christmas ornaments; these patterns and instructions are posted on other sites from around the About.com network.
- About Cross Stitch: Mini Christmas Ornament Collection to Cross Stitch (pictured) by Connie Barwick
- About Family Crafts: Recycled homemade Christmas ornament crafts for kids by Sherri Osborn
- About Quilting: Folded star quilted ornament pattern by Janet Wickell
- About Beadwork: Beaded Christmas ornament cover by Paula Morgan
- About Embroidery: Embroidered Christmas ornaments by Cheryl Fall
Collectible Christmas Ornaments:
The following links take you to additional crochet resources and Christmas projects on our website.