This Christmas candy cane dispenser is a fun and affordable way to use the free pattern for the crocheted box shape. Using dollar store supplies, you can dress up the crocheted box shape to make this project. These make great gifts, but they're also fun to keep and use.
- Completed crochet craft foam block cover (requires yarn, crochet hook and tapestry needle.)
- Candy canes, or similar candy. Mine came from the Dollar Tree store, but you can buy candy canes at many different stores.
- An abundance of curly ribbon – a 3-pack of premade curly bows was used in the sample. I purchased them at the Dollar Tree store, but many stores sell this kind of ribbon. Or you could curl your own ribbon using scissors if you prefer.
- 1 block of floral or craft foam. The foam shown in the sample measures 3 7/8” x 3 7/8” x 3 7/8” (98 mm x 98 mm x 98 mm)
- Glue / adhesive
- Materials for weighing down the crocheted box
- Crochet the box shape
- Weigh down the foam as shown on this page.
- Put the weighted foam inside the crocheted box.
- Glue or adhere the ribbons to the top of the block of foam, arranging them so they cover it as much as possible.
- Use a sturdy metal crochet hook to gouge holes in the craft foam. Then stick the candy canes into the holes you made. I used a size H hook, and it was about the right size for the candy canes I bought. If you use a hook that's too big, your candy canes might wobble.
- Use and enjoy, or give the completed candy cane dispenser as a gift.