Here’s a fun and affordable Valentine's Day craft project. Three of the best things about Valentine's Day are hearts, candy and flowers. Now you can combine all three of these things with another favorite: crochet!
This candy dispenser is a creative way to use the free pattern for the crocheted box shape. Using dollar store supplies, you can dress up the crocheted box shape to make the delightful flower and candy arrangement you see pictured.
Uses for the Valentine's Day Flower and Candy Arrangement:
- On Valentine's Day morning, leave an arrangement in a conspicuous spot for loved ones to discover. (Works best if your loved ones can be trusted not to eat them all for breakfast in one sitting...)
- Use it as a centerpiece on your kitchen or dining table. It would work well for Valentine's day dinner, or Valentine's Day parties.
- Put one on your desk at work. Anytime a disgruntled boss / colleague / customer stops by, offer them a lollipop before they have a chance to get a word in edgewise. If you’re feeling especially generous, make one for your company’s receptionist too.
- This idea could also be adapted for other "lovey-dovey" occasions such as bridal showers, anniversaries, anniversary parties, etc.
Materials: (See Photo)
- Completed crochet box shape (requires yarn, crochet hook and tapestry needle.)
- Heart-shaped lollipops, or any similar candy on a stick. My lollipops came from the Dollar Tree store. You can usually get similar candies from many different retailers during the months of January and February.
- Curly ribbon – I used a premade curly bow in the sample. If you're going to use this as a centerpiece, you'll probably want to use more ribbon than I did.
- 1 or more stems of faux flowers. Mine came from the Dollar Tree store. Craft stores are a safer bet for finding this type of thing, but you might get lucky and find them at your local dollar store.
- 1 block of floral or craft foam. The foam shown in the sample measures 3 7/8” x 3 7/8” x 3 7/8” (98 mm x 98 mm x 98 mm)
- Wire cutters - if your flower stems are long
- Glue / adhesive
- Materials for weighing down the crocheted box
- Crochet the box shape
- Weigh down the foam as shown on this page.
- Put the weighted foam inside the crocheted box.
- Stick the flower stem(s) into the foam.
- Glue the ribbon to the top of the block of foam, arranging it so it covers the foam as much as possible.
- Stick the lollipops into the foam.
- Use and enjoy, or give the completed candy dispenser as a gift.