Don't just decorate your home for the holidays - decorate yourself too! This Christmas button necklace is made using festive red and green embroidery floss. A gorgeous damask-inspired button is the focal point.
If you're looking for homemade Christmas gift ideas, this is a great project to consider - especially if you're on a tight budget. The materials are very affordable, but the finished project doesn't look cheap. This is a gift you can make with love, and proudly give to friends and loved ones.
This necklace is a variation of my layered flower necklace. That necklace is similar, but instead of a button, you decorate it with a crocheted flower. There are also several different color variations for the pattern. The materials list for this particular version is given below.
- 1-2 skeins of red embroidery floss - DMC 321 was the color used to make the sample necklace.
- 2 skeins of green embroidery floss - DMC 702 was the color used to make the sample necklace.
- A button measuring about 1 1/4" - the button shown is by La Mode, and was purchased at a JoAnn craft store.
- A pair of snaps or a pretty button to form the closure
- Crochet Hooks: Sizes D and E, or size needed to obtain gauge.
How to Make the Button Necklace - Link to the Free Crochet Pattern Plus InstructionsLearn how to make this necklace - see my step-by-step necklace tutorial, which includes many close-up photos so you can see all the details.
Or, if you are an advanced crocheter and you don't need to see pictures of each step, you can skip to the free pattern, which is more concise and easier to print out.
After you've crocheted the necklace band, you just stitch the button to the front, and attach your snaps or button for the closure. Make sure all the ends are woven in securely. Then the necklace is ready to either wear or gift, whichever you prefer.
- Heart Design With Czech Glass Button
- Heart Design With Lace and a Flower Button
- How to Crochet a Flower Embellished With a Button