The crazy shell is a popular stitch for crocheting afghans.
Time Required: 15 minutes to learn technique
- Make a foundation chain (any multiple of 4) plus 3 extra chains to turn.
- Row 1: Work 3 double crochet in the 4th chain from the hook, * skip 3 chains, 1 single crochet in the next chain, chain 3, 3 double crochet in the same chain. Repeat from * across row, and end with 1 single crochet.
- Row 2: Chain 3 and turn, 3 double crochet in the single crochet of previous row, * 1 single crochet in the space made by the chain 3 of previous row, chain 3 and 3 double crochet in same place. Repeat from * across row and end with 1 single crochet in last chain 3 of previous row.
- Repeat row 2 for each row until you reach the length desired.
- Some interesting color patterns emerge with this stitch when you alternate colors every row, every other row and so forth.