Learn How to Crochet - Basic Stitches, Plus Beginner Patterns and Tutorials
By Amy Solovay
- Crochet Basics
- Crochet Videos and Tutorials
- Learn How to Crochet Left-Handed
- Crochet Supplies
- How to Read a Crochet Pattern
- Granny Squares - The Ideal First Project for Beginning Crocheters
- Beginner Crochet Patterns
- Easy Crochet Patterns
- Basic Crochet Techniques
- Help! I'm Stuck!
- Breaking Out of Beginner Status
- Learn How to Crochet Some Different Types of Projects
These overview pages present the basics of crochet.
Crochet Videos and Tutorials
Crochet tutorials and videos are a fantastic way to learn how to crochet, especially if you don't have access to an experienced teacher. We invite you to grab a crochet hook and a ball of yarn, and follow along - you'll be crocheting in no time!
- Crochet Slip Knot / Slip Loop
- Chain Stitch
- Chain Stitch Video
- Single Crochet
- Single Crochet Video
- Double Crochet, Step By Step Tutorial
- Double Crochet Videos and Tutorial
- Double Crochet Variations
- Half Double Crochet
- Treble Crochet
- Slip Stitch
- Surface Crochet Slip Stitches
- More Crochet Tutorials
- Crochet Videos -- Main Directory
Learn How to Crochet Left-Handed
Left-handed people face an extra challenge when learning how to crochet; crochet instructions are typically written for right-handed people. If you want to learn how to crochet left-handed, we hope you'll find these resources helpful.
- Left-Handed Crocheters Share Tips and Advice
- Best Books for Learning How to Crochet Left-Handed
- Left-Handed Crochet
You don't need many supplies to get started with crochet. The basics you'll need include a crochet hook, some yarn or thread, a pair of scissors, and a needle with an eye large enough to accommodate your chosen fiber.
One of the beautiful things about crochet is that you can stick to basic, affordable supplies if you're on a tight budget. Plenty of fancier supplies are available if you'd like to upgrade.
There is much to learn about the various hooks and supplies available. This info will help get you started.
- Which Yarn Should a Total Beginner Buy?
- Learn About a Variety of Different Crochet Hooks
- Readers' Favorite Crochet Hooks
- Lessons I Learned From My Favorite Crochet Hook
- Ergonomic Crochet Hooks
- What Is a Tapestry Needle? Why Do Crocheters Need Them?
- What Is Variegated Yarn?
- 4 Secrets for Success With Variegated Yarn
- Crochet Books
- More Info About Crochet Supplies
How to Read a Crochet Pattern
If you don't know how to read crochet patterns, it might seem like they are written in some sort of secret code. It's actually really easy, once you understand the terms and abbreviations used. This information will help.
Granny Squares - The Ideal First Project for Beginning Crocheters
If you’ve never crocheted before, a basic granny square is an ideal first project. Don't yawn! Perhaps the granny doesn't seem like the most exciting thing you could be crocheting, but it really is a great starting point.
The good ol' granny will help you get comfortable with chains, slip stitches, double crochet, working in rounds, and crocheting corners. After you’ve mastered those basics, you’ll have many of the skills necessary to crochet more complicated projects.
- Basic Granny Square - Pattern and Tutorial
- Easy Beginner's Granny Square Pattern
- Granny Square Variations -- For After You've Mastered the Basic Granny
- How to Join Granny Squares
Beginner Crochet Patterns
These crochet patterns are all suitable for total beginners.
- Basic Single Crochet Scarf for Beginners
- Simple Crochet Scarf Pattern Using Only Single Crochet and Chain Stitches
- Fast, Easy Beginner's Baby Blanket Pattern
- Easy Beginner's Crochet Headband Pattern
- Simple Crochet Headband Pattern
- Beginner's Jeweled Neck Warmer Pattern
- Beginner's Easy Snowflake-Shaped Trivet
- Learn the Treble Crochet Stitch With These Easy Fingerless Gloves
- Learn the Half Double Crochet With This Easy Beginner's Placemat Pattern
- More Free Crochet Patterns for Beginners
Easy Crochet Patterns
If you're looking for an easy crochet project, try any of these patterns.
Basic Crochet Techniques
These are some of the basic crochet techniques you should know.
- How to Change Colors in Single Crochet
- Crocheting Overtop of Yarn Ends
- How to Carry Yarn up the Sides of Your Work When Crocheting Stripes
Help! I'm Stuck!
So, you're off and running. You've figured out the chain and a few other stitches, and you're crocheting along like crazy.
Then it happens - you hit a roadblock and you can't figure out what to do next.
We can help!
- Come Visit Our Crochet Forum! Ask Questions -- Get Answers
- Tips and Advice from Experienced Crocheters
Breaking Out of Beginner Status
If you practice crocheting consistently, it won't be long before you're a confident crocheter. Practice is really the key to advancement.
It will also help if you can learn some new tips, tricks, techniques, and stitches along the way. Here are some more resources that will help you master the art of crocheting.
- Subscribe to My Crochet Newsletter for Tips, Free Patterns, and More Tutorials
- Learn Filet Crochet
- Learn About Freeform Crochet
- Learn About Tunisian Crochet
- Learn How to Crochet With Beads
- Learn How to Crochet With Eyelash Yarn
- Learn How to Make Fringe
- Learn How to Do Cro-Tatting
- Learn How to Do Tapestry Crochet
- How to Crochet Fabrics Using Slip Stitch
Learn How to Crochet Some Different Types of Projects
If there's a specific type of project you'd like to crochet, chances are good we have instructions and free patterns that'll help.
- How to Crochet a Scarf
- How to Crochet a Blanket
- How to Crochet Dishcloths and Washcloths
- How to Crochet a Shawl Using Scrap Yarn