It's amazing how much little details -- like placemats and table linens -- can enhance the look of your home. They're also functional too; they help to protect your table (or other surfaces) from spills, scratches and scrapes. They're affordable crochet projects to make, and in the long run a good set of placemats will usually pay for itself.
Want to learn how to crochet your own placemats? If so, any of these free patterns will give you the information you need to get to work.
Here's how the half double crochet placemat looks when you add a scalloped crochet lace edging to it. You can vary the look of this placemat dramatically by choosing different edgings, or even different colors of ribbon or trim to use around the edges.
Also pictured here: upcycled pull tab napkin rings. The free napkin ring pattern is also available on our website if you would like to make both items for your own table.
These luxuriously textured placemats make the perfect accent to any contemporary, traditional or country-style kitchen. The plaid design is fresh and original, and it's a timeless classic style.
Free Crochet Placemat Patterns From Around the Web
I found the following free crochet patterns posted at other Internet web sites. I think these patterns all look interesting, although I haven't actually tried crocheting any of them. I hope you will find the links helpful.
Free Crochet Placemat Patterns at the Coats and Clark Web Site:
- Pinwheel place setting: This link takes you to a PDF page featuring free crochet patterns for placemats and coasters with spiral designs.
- Cornmeal mats: If you ask me, these are much prettier than the name suggests. The link takes you to a PDF page featuring lovely striped placemats crocheted in Red Heart Super Saver.
- Americana place setting
- Country Christmas placemat and coaster set
- Celtic placemat
- Apple blossom placemat
- Table lace placemat
- Options placemat and coaster
Free Patterns for Table Settings at the Garnstudio.com Web Site
These patterns are all drop-dead gorgeous! Many of these links take you to free patterns for table settings, including placemats plus other coordinating items such as doilies, coasters and / or napkin rings.
- Easter table setting with placemat
- Chicken theme table setting with placemat -- Great for Easter, French country decor, or everyday use.
- Christmas table setting with placemat
- Fancy table setting with placemat -- suitable for weddings or any special occasion
- Heart table mat and napkin ring
- Christmas lunch placemat and napkin ring
Placemats like these would make a fabulous addition to your outdoor picnic table, or maybe even to your decor inside as well.
Plarn is an interesting material to use for crocheting placemats. I wouldn't recommend it for use with hot dishes; it's ideal if you'd want to use placemats like these when serving sandwiches, salad, pickles or other similar picnic fare. Best of all, plarn is easy to make (for free!) using readily available materials.
Interested in finding more free patterns for kitchen accessories? We've posted bunches of patterns for lovely kitchen items that are easy to crochet, beautiful to look at, stylish, and functional. Be sure to check out our coaster patterns, trivet patterns and other kitchen patterns.