Here's a colorful and diverse collection of free crochet patterns featuring tapestry crochet. Tapestry crochet is a technique allowing you to work multiple colors per row, allowing for all kinds of interesting patterns and designs. Be sure to visit our collection of free charts too!
Tapestry Crochet Afghan Patterns
Tapestry crochet is the perfect technique for creating thick, warm, patterned afghans -- especially colorful afghans. If you're bored with one-color afghan designs, any of these patterns would be a fantastic choice.
The following patterns were all designed by Amy Solovay.
- Patchwork crochet Christmas afghan
- Gingham check baby blanket -- If you're new to tapestry crochet, this is a great starter pattern for learning the technique.
- Heart sampler baby afghan
- Coral hearts baby afghan
- Nested checkerboard baby afghan designs
See Also: Free crochet afghan patterns
Free Tapestry Crochet Cupcake Pattern
This cute crocheted square features a tapestry crochet cupcake motif.
More Squares Worked in Tapestry Crochet
You can use squares for making many different types of crochet projects. These squares can be adapted in any way you like.
These squares were all designed by Amy Solovay.
- Mix and match afghan squares (pictured at left)
- Striped heart baby afghan squares
- Striped checkerboard baby afghan square; get the free chart here.
- Large checkerboard baby afghan square
- Christmas tree square -- combines tapestry crochet with cross stitch
Tapestry Crochet Potholder Patterns
Tapestry crochet is a technique that is well-suited for use in potholders and similar protective projects such as hot pads, trivets and placemats; the additional carried yarns or threads make it easy to create a dense fabric.
These potholders were all designed by Amy Solovay.
- Diagonal stripes potholder
- Candy cane stripes potholder
- Tapestry crochet heart potholders
- Snowflake potholders
See Also: Free crochet potholder patterns
This unusual tapestry crochet pattern includes a heart design as the focal point in the center.
Tapestry Crochet Accessories
Tapestry Crochet Scarf Patterns
We've posted the free patterns for a couple of checkered scarves worked using the tapestry crochet technique and eyelash yarn. One of them is pictured at left; there's also a similar but different checkered scarf that features even more eyelash yarn.
See Also: free crochet scarf patterns
I used back loop single crochet stitch, combined with the tapestry crochet technique to create this two-color ribbed headband. While I've labeled this as an "intermediate" pattern, I do think it's one of the easier tapestry crochet patterns we have available. As far as starter patterns go, this one's noteworthy because it offers you a nice change of pace from making basic afghan squares.
Tapestry Crochet Bags and Wallets
Tapestry crochet is well-suited for working in the round; it's a fun way to make colorful bags, totes and purses. Of course, if you want to try a smaller project, wallets and pouches are also fantastic options.
- Checkered crochet pouch by Amy Solovay; this pouch is worked as two flat rectangles that are then whipstitched together. This would make a great change purse, although there are plenty of other ways you could use it. The pouch is lined, and you may also wish to view the tutorial for how to sew a lining for the pouch.
- Two-Color Spiral market bag worked in tapestry crochet, by Carol Ventura
- Tapestry crochet kitty bag by Carol Ventura
- Tapestry crochet necklace pouch / amulet bag by Carol Ventura -- This interesting crochet project gives you a cross between a necklace and a bag.
- Felted crochet amulet bag by Carol Ventura -- This is similar to the pattern linked above, but unlike the other version it is meant to be felted.
- Tapestry crochet wallet by Carol Ventura
- Tapestry crochet horse around purse by Carol Ventura
- Hip hop felted tapestry crochet bag by Carol Ventura, posted at the crochetme website
Tapestry Crochet Basket Patterns
The following basket patterns were all designed by Carol Ventura; they are posted at various other crochet websites on the Internet.
- Spiral basket in tapestry crochet This eye-catching basket is crocheted in two colors; it features a subtle spiral design. The basket makes a nice holder for pencils, pens, crochet hooks, knitting needles or similar tools.
- Tapestry crochet basket with beads -- If you take a close look at this basket, you'll see unexpected details, such as beads incorporated into the tapestry crochet design. This project is posted at the Crochet! Magazine web site.
- Tapestry crochet wallet by Carol Ventura
- Hearts and diamonds reversible tapestry crochet basket -- This link goes to a lengthy PDF containing instructions for various craft projects, one of which is a tapestry crochet basket. If you only want to view the basket, skip down to page 10 on the PDF.
- Ducks in a Row Basket -- Posted at the crochetme website.
See Also: Free basket patterns