Project Title and Brief Description
"Verdant Falls" by Laura Murphy, Monte Vista, CO: freeform knitting and crochet, 18" x 70", All manner of stitching was used to create it, including knitting, crochet, sewing, beading.
Tell Us All About Your Project
"Verdant Falls" is a freeform project about the riotous beauty of plants. It's a tumultuous "fall" of greenery, texture and color. It took over 6 weeks of 12-16 hour days to complete. It contains approximately 70% hand dyed and handspun yarn by the artist.
Tips and Tricks
- I sketched out a basic idea for the piece, so that the overall composition would be cohesive. I did not religiously adhere to this sketch, but kept in mind the overarching lines and shapes. I pay attention to repetition of color, texture and shape as well.
- I choose a color scheme and complementary colors and stay close to that. The painter in me prefers to use color skillfully rather than in a conflicting way. There is a lot of skilled freeform out there that is killed by a reckless use of color.
- Like most freeformers, I make small pieces of "fabric" called scrumbles, and assemble them using a ladder stitch.
Web Site With More of Your Crochet Work (Optional)
Recommended Book(s) About Freeform Crochet (Optional)
- Freeformations by Jenny Dowde
- Knitting Over the Edge by Nicky Epstein
- Reader's Digest Book of Knitting and Crochet Stitches
Amy Solovay, About.com Crochet, says:
To Everyone: Here are a few related resources that you might enjoy:
Links to Laura's Freeform Crochet Book Picks:
- Compare prices on Freeformations by Jenny Dowde
- Compare prices on Knitting Over the Edge by Nicky Epstein
- Compare prices on Reader's Digest Book of Knitting and Crochet Stitches
To Laura: Thanks so much for sharing your incredible work with us. This piece is utterly spectacular!